Donegal Fish & Conservation - spring show

wgmiller

wgmiller

News Release
Donegal Fish and Conservation Association
45th Annual Spring Outdoor Show and Pork BBQ

The Donegal Fish and Conservation Association in cooperation with the Donegal Experiential Education Program will be holding its 45th annual Spring Outdoor Show and pork BBQ on Saturday March 5th, 2011 from 4:00 – 9:00 p.m. in the Donegal High School gymnasium located on Rt. 772, Mount Joy. Club member, Harvey Schademan, will again be cooking up the BBQ. Advance tickets are being sold for the BBQ, but a limited supply of meals and individual sandwiches will be available at the show.

The show will feature exhibits from area sporting goods stores, fly tiers, rod and tackle makers, shooting enthusiasts, kayakers, bow fisherman, bowyers, conservation groups, the Pennsylvania Fish Commission and the Cortland Line professionals who will be giving fly casting demonstrations. Also on hand this year will be a reptile display provided by Triple J Reptile and Rescue, the Lancaster Fencibles and award winning fly tier Dean Myers.

This year’s featured speaker will be George Daniel. George began fly fishing at age 6 while growing up in Potter County, PA and credits Joe Humphreys for the bulk of his knowledge along with many national and international industry professionals. George has been seen on ESPN and OLN while competing in the Great Outdoor Games and the Fly Fishing Masters and is a certified FFF Fly Casting Instructor. George’s passion is in Fly Fishing Education and teaching others to enjoy this leisure activity. He logs over 200 days a year on trout waters near and far from his home in Lock Haven, PA. George is currently working on his first book with Stackpole Books and will be available January 2012. The title of the book will be “Dynamic Nymphing.” George currently resides in Lock Haven with his wife, Amidea and their two children, Evangeline and Logan along with their golden retriever that answers to the name Madison.

George’s presentation will be on “European Nymphing Techniques,” and will begin at 7:30 p.m.

All proceeds from the show will go towards continuing restoration work on the Donegal Creek, supporting the club’s cooperative nursery and the annual kid’s fishing derby held later in the spring.

Any questions concerning the show, or for information on setting up a display, call Kurt Enck at (717) 475-7834, or e-mail: fishmagic2 at gmail.com. You can also visit us on the web at donegalfish.com, or on Facebook under the group name Donegal Fish and Conservation Association.

If you come to the show make sure you stop by and introduce yourself.

Just announced... Dwight Landis also is coming to the show!

DJ
Thanks for the info, I’m interested in going and have a couple a couple questions;
How much does it cost and can you buy tickets at the door?
Your announcement said George’s presentation will begin at 730 but the donagal web site said 700PM which is it?
Is the creek close enough to get some fishing in before hand?
Thanks
Buffalo

I'm sorry, I don't have those answers for the times. Maybe WGMiller can help us out there. Donegal creek is close. Only a couple minutes away.

Awaiting an answer on the presentation; I'll post it as soon as I get it.

Admission is the best price of all - FREE!!! However, donations to the DFCA are always accepted.

The Donegal is a short mile or two down Route 772 (Anderson Ferry Rd.) from the high school. It's a limestoner, so even with the cold temps it is still open for fishing. Flows appear to be a little low right now, so the fish are probably a bit spooky, but there are fish to be had. If you're serious about fishing it prior to the show, let me know and I'll toss up the best access point.

WG,
Thanks for getting back. It’s still a month away but if I’m gonna travel to the show sure would like to wet a line so any info you can provide would be great. I sure do like the price of admission and a donation is not a problem at all.
Thanks again,
Buffalo

It looks like 7:00 PM is a good bet for the George Daniel presentation. If you plan on 7, you'll be safe...

Unfortunately, you're going to miss the state stocking of the FFO section of the Donegal by about a week. March 11th it's slated to be float stocked.

Bumping this up. Show's this weekend...

George Daniels is doing a presentation at the Valley Forge Fly Fishing show at 4:30 PM. Runs an hour to 5:30. He is going to have to kick butt to get to Lancaster. :-o

I assume these guys figure while in SE PA, might as well get your appearances in. Dwight Landis is also appearing at VF, but on Sunday.

As far as George Daniel, google maps says an hour and 15 minutes to mount joy, with good traffic. But thats on rt 30, and it's slower than the maps say with all those lights between Coatesville and Lancaster. If he reads this, I would encourage using the turnpike to 222 instead. Adds just under 10 miles, avoids stoplights, should be quicker.

Most people in the Lancaster area tend to take 222 to the Turnpike for any Philly area events. Agreed that it is much quicker than using 30...

pcray1231 wrote:
If he reads this, I would encourage using the turnpike to 222 instead. Adds just under 10 miles, avoids stoplights, should be quicker.

Without question!

As long as his presentation doesn't run long and there is no take down/set up he should be good.

WG and DJ,
I’m still looking to go tomorrow and depending on the weather would like to wet a line. so I would like to take you up on your offer for more specific instructions to the (special regs section of ) creek. Also I’m tying a lot of flys and need some hooks and other materials will there be venders there?
Thanks
Buffalo

Buffalo,

There have been vendors there in years past and this year should be no different. I haven't seen the list for this year, but every year there are people with materials, hooks, etc.

I presume you'll be coming down 283 from New Bloomfield? If so, get off at the Manheim/Mount Joy exit and take 772 towards Mount Joy. Make your way through the first traffic light and go straight on New Haven Street (past the fire station). Next stop sign, make a right onto Anderson Ferry Road (Route 772). Take this through the stoplight in front of the high school. This is the same high school the show is being held at (park around back).

After going through the traffic light, proceed westbound on 772 for a 1/2 mile or so and the next road you come to on your left will be Long Lane. Make a left on Long Lane and follow the road another 1/2 mile until you come to the first road on your right which will be Donegal Creek Road. Make this right and a couple hundred yards on your right will be a defunct "horse barn" and riding area.

Park in front of the small barn and walk down the stone lane 50 feet or so. There will be a gate that you'll need to cross under (or go around). After walking the short distance to the bottom of the creek, you can fish upstream or downstream. If you fish upstream, you'll eventually come the top of the fly section and it is posted well. If you fish downstream, I wouldn't fish but 1/2 mile or so as the creek isn't stocked too far down.

Flies that would work well: zebra midges, white buggers, red san juan worms, sprakle worms, etc. It's supposed to be a bit showery and overcast tomorrow, so you may see a riser or two to some midge activity. But overall, I'd say you'll want to go subsurface.

As I mentioned previously, it's a shame the show isn't next weekend because the creek will be stocked. I know there are fish in there now, but they're stream-bred and holdovers, so they know how to hide well!

WG,
Thanks, for the great Info. Think I'll take some rain gear and give it a shot. Will be looking for you at the show and wearing my PA fly fish hat.
Bob

Nice meeting up with you Bob. I hope the George Daniel presentation was informative and you enjoyed the show. As simple as it is, it's typically a chance to shake the "winter blues" and get out of the house on a Saturday night!

Dean - Nice chatting with you as well. You got a good thing goin' there with those stonefly nymphs!

The show was a little light on the vendor list this year, but there was a little something for everyone.

WG,
It was well worth the trip! I found a new fishing spot, got to put a face on a couple Pa Fly fishers and learned a lot. Gotta’ mention my conversations with Dave Shenk, really interesting and informative.
Thanks again for your hospitality
Bob

Back