Any interest in pulling off a mini-jam in the fall?

sight_nymph_17109

sight_nymph_17109

Just throwing the idea out there. Limestoners, up-state, the Lehigh or something else.

If you build it, they will come. :)

I'll build a fall trip to the Catskills.... nobody will come. Too far.

I and a few of my friends will. We had one organized a year or two ago, but all kinds of crazy stuff got it canceled. People are willing to go that far. If you're from around me, it's less driving to go to the catskills compared to going to central PA.

Suggestion: Hold the jam close to Hickory Run State Park that way people can fish the streams in the park. Also the Lehigh Gorge State Park is right below and that would probably be a good area to fish the Lehigh River. There are a lot of options in this area. Plus you also have the Tobyhanna Creek in this area. Just my humble suggestion. I do know a place some mountain houses that are in a good location.

State Park=no alcohol...I just don't see that attracting a lot of attention.

Nick, Thanks for the info. That's a possibility and I'll see what other type of feedback I get from the others over the next 2 months.

tom, Very good point. I only drink when golfing to reduce the pain of my score but I know a couple of beers after a day of fishing is important to many. That too will be considered.

It was probably the single biggest hurdle in finding locations for Jams in the past. There are plenty of State Parks near great water...shame...

Tocar and I talked briefly about this at the jam.
I really enjoy fall fishing and would be interested.
Little j/ penns/, and spring creek are my usual stomping grounds then.
Last time I tried the Delaware in the fall, it was very brown. They were dumping water to have more holding capacity for the spring

If you are talking about last fall, YES. They were working on the tunnel over at the lake that feeds the WB. The water was muddy and high from mid Sept through end of Oct. Found that out when I got there and thought it was a wasted trip. WRONG! Even with the muddy water, fish feeding on caddis, olives and ISO's. We got in a Shehawken and saw 50 rises before reaching the junction pool! The fishing was good enough that I went up 5 of the following 6 weekends. The water wasn't pretty but the fishing was good. I'd just get on the main river and fish the seam where the clear and muddy water met. Did that for upper 3-4 miles and had good success. Also hit the Esopus which was really muddy and stalked the upper EB looking for giants at low light. Have you ever seen those October caddis that come off just at dark? Freaking huge and the fish were on them.

I'd be up for a fall trip. Catskills is closer to the lehigh valley contingent than central pa. Delaware is also appealing to me. Wherever and whenever it is, I'll go if I'm free :)

Give me time after my little girl comes in a few weeks and I may try to organize another steelhead JAM in the fall. That is a lot harder to plan around the weather and the runs, but we had a blast last year. Sometime in early November would probably be best.

Unless someone else wants to do so (heard rumors a few guys were interested in doing so while at the JAM)

Any Jams that I organize will not be all-caps. :p

Let me know about the steelhead thing. If I make erie, I think I can use that to guilt some of these jerk yinzers to come to the D.

How far is the drive to Erie vs Pulaski? We (me and 2 others) were going for an early steelie run between 15-30 of Nov. Once the salmon are gone, less pressure on the river.

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
How far is the drive to Erie vs Pulaski?

I guess it depends on your starting point!!!

That question was more geared toward Jay. From his answer, I'd be able to guess my driving distance.

sight_nymph_17109 wrote:
From his answer, I'd be able to guess my driving distance.

Why guess?
http://www.mapquest.com/

Salmon = 5hrs
Erie = 7.

The salmon is superior, IMO. Less fish, but a variety, and way bigger. The water is significantly nicer too, IMO.

We go the first week of October and pay to fish down low to beat the crowds. The salmon run is a blast if you go down there. I usually go back a handful of times to chase steel throughout the fall.

I'd drive the distance - never done it before. Worth it to me to experience it.

David, you have all the answers. Thanks. Why don't you work on capping that oil pipe in the gulf?

Back