2013 PAFF Eastern PA Fly Tying Jamboree 12/21/13 10AM - 6PM

• Thread starter Heritage-Angler
  • Start date
Heritage-Angler

Heritage-Angler

To all PAFF members, family, and friends:

You are invited to attend and participate in the 2013 PAFF Eastern PA Fly Tying Jamboree, to be held on Saturday, December 21st, from 10 AM to 6 PM.

This event is being hosted by FrequentTyer and myself. Either of us will answer any questions regarding the event.

This event will be held at the Lehigh Gap Nature Center, in Slatington, PA. Directions can be found here:

http://lgnc.org/

Tyers of all skill levels are invited to attend and participate. Each tyer will be given 15 minutes to tie and explain their chosen demo fly. Tyers will tie one at a time, proceeding around the room. Please choose a pattern that fits in to one of the following categories, and list it in your signup post. Duplicates are OK, but try to pick a pattern that hasn't already been chosen.

Categories:

- Catskill style dries
- parachute style dries
- comparadun and hairwing style dries
- emergers
- immitative nymphs
- attractor nymphs
- terrestrials
- wet flies
- streamers
- "other" flies

Things to bring:

All Tools and materials to tie your chosen demo fly. A tying lamp and any extension cords you need - there's an ample number of outlets on the walls behind the tying tables.

Bring any food or drinks you'd like to, but save room for dinner! We'll provide spring water on ice.

It's a good idea to get there and set up your tying gear before 10AM. We'll have access to the hall at the LGNC at 9AM, so please be ready to start tying at 10AM.

We encourage beginner tyers to attend, and we'll have beginner instruction set up at a table run by Hokendauqua TU. These guys are highly experienced with instructing beginners - they host a comprehensive series of tying classes starting in January. They'll have info and signup materials for these classes as well.

We'll also be holding a raffle at 5 PM of donated tying materials and flyfishing gear. Any donations to this raffle are welcome, and 100% of the proceeds will be donated to the Lehigh Gap Nature Center, as a "thank you" for allowing us to use their beautiful facility for this event.

We'll be heading over to Riverwalck's Saloon after the event for drinks and dinner. Our reservation is for 6:30 PM. Directions to Riverwalck's Saloon can be found here:

http://riverwalcksaloon.com/

Let the hostess know you are with Paflyfish, and she'll take you to our tables.

Looking forward to a fun and educational day, meeting new PAFF members, and seeing old friends and fishing buddies!

Please sign up below, and don't forget to list your chosen demo fly. Let the games begin!

Here's a LINK to the wrap up for last year's event (includes slide show).

H.A.

Calendar is marked. It was a great event last year.

Hi Keith!

How's that wing coming along?

Think you'll be able to tie?

I'll buy you one of those half gallon size "pain killers" at Riverwalck's. ;-)

I will make it and tie......I dunno...Something.

i'll be there, can demo winged wet flies, and tie salmon flies and streamers for the rest of the time.

I'll also donate a mounted salmon fly for the raffle.

Eunan

Definitely on the calendar!!
I can do a wicked foam beetle.....

I would like to attend and have a seat at the beginners table.

" How's that wing coming along?

Think you'll be able to tie?

I'll buy you one of those half gallon size "pain killers" at Riverwalck's. "

I can do a set-up on how NOT to tie.
Shoulder's on the mend. PT has begun. I should be good to start casting by Christmas.

Updated tyer's list:

SBecker – TBD
Eunanhendron - Demo winged wet flies, salmon flies and streamers
Volksnurse – Wicked foam beetle
Frequenttyer – Orange stimulator

It's hard to believe its already time to think about the tying jam. This year just flew by!
I'm going to demo an orange stimulator which is a really versatile pattern that gives a lot of guys (myself included) problems. I may be taking tips from the audience :)

I “borrowed” the following from one of HA's posts last year. it provides some good advice for jam tyers that I think is worth repeating.
Mike.

For those that don't know, TBD stands for "To Be Decided". The sooner the tyers can pick their pattern, the better. This allows others the opportunity to choose something not listed, although duplicates aren't out of bounds. Just pick something you feel comfortable tying (and explaining as you go) within the 15 minute time limit.

It really helps if you practice your "demo" beforehand, especially to keep within the time limit. Having all materials laid out beforehand is also good. We've got 8 hours to tie, vs 4 hours we had last year. This means we should be able to fit about 30 tyers into the rotation. If we have extra time, that time will be used for Q & A sessions following each demo.

We request that the tyers explain techniques as they go, rather than just tying the fly, and explaining afterwards. This can easily make a 5 minute tie into a 15 minute tie, so be prepared.:)

Last year was a blast...count me in again.

Thinking about it reminded me of dinner last year...now I'm hungry.

I'll tie a sculpin.

Thanks to both Ed and Mike for organizing this event again. I had a great time last year and met a lot of great folks and I learned a ton! What an awesome opportunity for the folks who are just getting started tying! Count me in. Really looking forward to it. I'll tie a Sparrow Nymph.

I'll be there. I'm gonna tie a CDC Iso emerger unless I come up with something better. Cant wait to get back to Riverwalk saloon too.

Count me in (of course we all know I said that for the last 2 years and haven't made it yet). I'll do my Comparadun or the Stimmie, you and Ed can decide.

I will do a Hackle Stacker.

Updated tyer's list:

SBecker – Hackle Stacker
Eunanhendron - Demo winged wet flies, salmon flies and streamers
Volksnurse – Wicked foam beetle
Frequenttyer – Orange stimulator
Jay348 - Sculpin
Dc410 - Sparrow Nymph
Martin0206 - CDC Iso emerger
Foxgap239 - Comparadun or the Stimmie

The list is looking good for this early. Great tyers, and a nice list of patterns.

Foxgap239 wrote:
Count me in (of course we all know I said that for the last 2 years and haven't made it yet). I'll do my Comparadun or the Stimmie, you and Ed can decide.

Fox,
I was planning on tying a stimulator, but if you want it, I can pick something else. I'm sure we will learn a lot watching you tie either pattern.
Mike.

FrequentTyer wrote:
The list is looking good for this early. Great tyers, and a nice list of patterns.

My thoughts exactly.

There's a few other people that should be there, and I'm sure they'll chime in when they're ready. They're some extremely talented tyers, and they'll add some depth to what is already a fine list.

Don't be shy, folks. Join us, and share some of your tying tips, tricks and skills.

Everyone is welcome to join us - even if you don't tie, or just want to watch.

We're gonna have a great time!

FrequentTyer wrote:

Fox,
I was planning on tying a stimulator, but if you want it, I can pick something else. I'm sure we will learn a lot watching you tie either pattern.
Mike.

I'll go with the CD then. People seem to like the way my patten looks.

this was great last year! Hopefully the same turn out again this year!

Eunan

Foxgap239 wrote:
FrequentTyer wrote:

Fox,
Mike.

I'll go with the CD then. People seem to like the way my patten looks.

Hey Fox!

Nevermind the people, what do the fish think of it???? :-D

Back