2012 PAFF Eastern PA Fly Tying Jamboree, 12/15/12

• Thread starter Heritage-Angler
  • Start date
Heritage-Angler

Heritage-Angler

Please check out the announcement in the Events Forum of the 2012 PAFF Eastern PA Fly Tying Jamboree found here.

Let's try to keep all comments, signups, etc here in this thread to keep the post in the announcement section as an information only announcement.

As mentioned in the announcement post, all PAFF members, family, friends, and even the general public are invited to participate in this event.

This year, I've drafted some very capable help in hosting this event. Frequent Tyer will be co-hosting this event, and his input and comments should be taken as "official". His ideas will surely improve this event over last year's, and I'm looking forward to working with him again.

Here are the categories to be used as a rough guide to choose the flies you plan on tying. Please list the fly you plan on tying when you sign up - this will allow us to cover a wider base of tying skills and techniques, and so maximize our learning potential.

-Catskill style dries
-parachute style dries
-comparadun and hairwing style dries
-emergers
-realistic nymphs
-attractor nymphs
-terrestrials
-wet flies
-streamers
-"other" flies

Duplicate flies are OK, but try to pick a pattern that someone else hasn't chosen. Tyers will be given 15 minutes each to tie the fly of their choice. The tyers may be videotaped as they tie, and macro pictures of the finished flies will be posted in a photobucket album to be posted here. We ask that all flies tied be donated to the raffle (see below).

We're also having at least one special guest tyer - Eunanhendron has agreed to put his incredible tying skills on display. This will be something spectacular to see!

We'll also have a raffle at the end of the day, and I'll be adding pictures of the items I get donated here in this thread as we progress. The grand prize is a beautiful custom made tying bench that was built by Specialty Wood Products, and generously donated by csoult of our forum. If anyone wants to donate any flyfishing related items to the raffle, feel free to bring them along. 100% of the proceeds from this raffle will be given to the Lehigh Gap Nature Center, as a "thank you" for allowing us to use their beautiful facility.

Coffee and spring water will be available throughout the day, but food items must be kept outside in your vehicles - we just can't risk messing up the beautiful hall in the LGNC.

Frequent Tyer and myself will be adding things here, and in the announcement section as we go, but for now, let the games begin!

H.A.

H-A,

I'm "in." Meaning, mark me down but I still have to check with my dad (ride). Hopefully I'll be able to attend. I'll let you know what fly later. Maybe some people that are planning on attending could pitch in some flies they'd like to see?

Im not posotive if i can go either (ride from dad), but a terrestrial or emerger would be something im interested in seeing tied

I am really looking forward to this and very happy that Heritage Angler asked for my help. We have some unbelievably talented and generous tiers on the forum, so I can't imagine this being anything but a great opportunity to learn from some of the best!
When choosing patterns, try to keep in mind that you will be demonstrating for a mixed audience including beginners. So try to pick something that allows you to demonstrate a technique and plan to really explain that part of the process. As H.A. said, there will be a lot for the group to digest, so keeping the main message simple for each pattern will be a big help to the beginners.
So let's get the fly list filled up!
Mike.

Willing to sign up as a tier. Would be willing to tie a Drone Stone or a Higas SOS? Really willing to tie anything other then a streamer.

Looking forward to attending. My second fly tying expo this fall - i'll also be at the IFTS in november, for anyone who's going to that as well.

Should be a fun day in Lehigh Valley

I plan on attending, provided I dont catch the flu the night before like last time...

FT and HA, I believe I'm in. (Barring any dizzy spells !) HA knows my specialty for tying. I'm not as talented as most of your tyers and my ties are usually very simplistic but I have been tying some Hi Vis Parachute Adams lately, so maybe you could put me down for that one. I also tie a pretty decent Comparadun, so you can use me for either.

You should do a live streaming video for those of us not within a few hundred miles...

surveyor06 wrote:
I plan on attending, provided I dont catch the flu the night before like last time...

Saved me a phone call. ;-)

Same deal as last year - I'll have everything you need to do your usual duties. Trowpa filled in admirably for you last year - maybe he'll be willing to lend a hand again. Two people would make things easier to handle, and allow one person to man the raffle table while the other ties.

Hate to dump responsibilities on you guys, but you two are my "aces" when I need help. And gfen - can't forget my buddy gfen.

Calling gfen (telepathically).......need your shutter finger again.

As far as videos go, there is equipment there to allow video to be projected up on the screen in the front of the room. I'd really like to take advantage of this, provided we can make the necessary hookups. They also have wifi, so maybe live streaming video is a possibility. I'd at least like to save the video footage to a dvd. FT has a new video camera as well. There's an Apple laptop there with a cord to connect a camera to - no idea of the length. The laptop is already connected to the projector. The LGNC uses it to show dvd's on the screen.

This is something that we'll have to investigate beforehand. We have permission to experiment from the LGNC. Maybe I can con gfen into checking it out with me, if I buy him lunch. :-D

Foxgap239 wrote:
I'm not as talented as most of your tyers...

Oh, please. You tie great flies. They look wonderful hanging from a bush I told you I saw a fish rise under... :cool:

OK, here's the start of "the list".

SBecker - Dronestone
Foxgap239 - Hi Viz Parachute Adams

you know you don't even need to ask, ed. its a given.

Heritage-Angler wrote:
[Oh, please. You tie great flies. They look wonderful hanging from a bush I told you I saw a fish rise under... :cool:

Well, that is true the bushes and trees seem to really like them!

If things return to semi normal around here, I should be able to make it. Had a great time last year.

Been thinking about this since i was invited to tie.

This past year i've almost exclusively been tying classic flies - winged wets, rangeley style streamers and atlantic salmon flies.

Since i'm not going to have a time limit on the day, I will tie a selection of all three and donate all flies i tie on the day to the raffle.
I hope to split the time into two sections

Morning-early afternoon
Wets and streamers
Wets - Trout Fin Set - 6 flies, which include married wings and tails.

Streamers - 4 "Ghost" flies Black Ghost, Grey Ghost, Grizzly Ghost, Green Ghost.

Late afternoon
Salmon fly (1) if time permits. - yet to be decided, but something familiar like a green highlander or such.

Obviously i might be over estimating the time for this, and I might not get the salmon fly tied.
I"ll happy to answer questions on technique etc as i tie, and this will impact the time per fly

should be fun

I will be attending, but am not ready for prime time tying.

How can I help? I can assist with the tech and raffle if you need help in those areas.

Thrilled that you are doing this again -- it was amazing to watch everyone tie, and Andy's box of goodies has really helped get Ben and I going. Anything that I can do to help give back to this great group of folks is a pleasure.

Hack

P.S. - We're going out for those giant beers again afterwards....right?

hack wrote:
P.S. - We're going out for those giant beers again afterwards....right?

You betcha! Julie at Riverwalck's has reserved the same room for us - we can bring up to 75 people, or so.

There's likely something you can help with, but my goal is to not have people working much - I just want everyone to learn, and have fun.

I'm really proud of the skill level of the tyers we've got on this forum. Last year, there were guys that didn't think their skill level was anything special. Wrong! I was amazed at the skill level of all of them.

Sharing knowledge, skills, and techniques is the core of this event. It's all about the tyers - they're the stars of this show. They'll all be "instructors". Pooling our skills will make us all better tyers.

Of course, gathering our members together is always a good time. The resulting camaraderie adds to our enjoyment of PAFF - meeting people in person will forever change the way you interact with others here in a very positive way.

We're gonna have a blast, guaranteed!

Your the man Ed, seriously. One of a kind!

surveyor06 wrote:
Your the man Ed, seriously. One of a kind!

Nah - Just one of the group. I'm just happy to be here! :)

Updated fly list:

SBecker - Dronestone
Foxgap239 - Hi Viz Parachute Adams
delta_dog - GT Caddis

Back