YOUR essential DRIES

I carry caddis dry imitations, but it's honestly probably been 3 or 4 years since I tied one one.

I do occasionally swing wets, which is mostly caddis wet flies.
If I recall correctly the Adams was invented to imitate caddis?

One of my favorite dry flies is also a good wet fly, the Griffiths Gnat.

EHC is a must have.

I also fish dry ants earlier than most people.
When there’s a riser under a tree that one can’t get with what’s hatching, it’s often ants, even early in the season.

Crackle backs, beetles, stimulators, dry Maurice,etc , all have their time and place

Depending on the tail material i feel like I can imitate just about any may fly hatch with various size compara duns.

To make an emerger that sits low in the film just use a slightly heavier wire hook and throw an antron shuck on.

Feel like with shorter wings and fuzzier bodies and antron shuck I can catch fish really well if size is right on a caddis hatch. I feel its a must have.

Micro fibit tail instead of antron ints got a spinners profile too.

Can look like a lot of things in my opinion, i think it is a very valuable fly to have

Grey fox variants with greatly oversized hackle, In a pinch you can trim top and bottom to use as a
spinner. It's a good searching pattern when nothing is going on.
GFV2

You can elaborate on this one.... Does this pattern stem from our very own Maurice?
Maurice is a fly developed by our own Matt Boyer.
It consists of a brown thread body,mallard flank wing, and grizzly hackle .
When tied dry, I use extra hackle , and, (much to purist’s dismay) brown foam .

Yes, it was named after our own Maurice.

One of my proudest moments was catching a trout on a (wet) Maurice, in from of our Maurice .

One of my proudest moments was catching a trout on a (wet) Maurice, in from of our Maurice .
I am gonna tie some of these up for sure. I can't wait to catch my first trout on the Maurice. I am gonna tie both a wet and a dry version.

Adams in multiples sizes (parachute and traditional)*I hate calf body
Yellow Humpy (18/16/14)
Beetles (18/16/14/12)
Small Stimulators (16/14)
Hendrickson (14)
Royal Wulff (18/16/14)(parachute and traditional) *I hate calf body.
March Brown (14/12)
BWO (bitty to super itty bitty)
Sulfurs (bitty to itty bitty)
Caddis (of various tying styles and sizes)
Comparaduns (various colors and sizes)

Plus about 1200 other patterns I've tied and never use. I only tie Royal Wulffs because I like the way they look and brook trout eat them like any other buggy looking thing. *I hate calf body

I am gonna tie some of these up for sure. I can't wait to catch my first trout on the Maurice. I am gonna tie both a wet and a dry version.
Here’s a large wet, to give you an idea
BE44F9F2 E721 4B2D BC59 5C6DC2EB14C4

EHC is a must have.

I also fish dry ants earlier than most people.
When there’s a riser under a tree that one can’t get with what’s hatching, it’s often ants, even early in the season.

Crackle backs, beetles, stimulators, dry Maurice,etc , all have their time and place
I'm pretty sure that I've caught fish on ants all twelve months of the year.

Justin-

Getcha some of this and turn the ordinary into the extraordinary:

s-l500.jpg

Remember we were talking about Japanese Beetles? This is the single most deadliest fly for me on all of the renown and lesser known limestoners/spring creeks during the Summer. You can tie in a tuft of white, yellow, chartreuse green Antron to make it Hi-Viz as it is a brookie killer too
Alan_Hobson__Beetle.JPG

Last edited:
Size 14:

Various Ant patterns.
Yellow Humpy
Royal Wulff
Purple parachute adams
Elk hair Caddis

Grey fox variants with greatly oversized hackle, In a pinch you can trim top and bottom to use as a
spinner. It's a good searching pattern when nothing is going on.View attachment 1641229227
That’s a nice tie. Most effective colors for me when blind casting.

Adams Parachute,14 thru 20.Tom Baltz’s paranymph. I cannot recommend this enough. 12-20. Para ant . 14-18. Beetles 14-18. A usable Wulff.14. Henry Ramsey half and half Emerger for sulphurs and Hendricksens. Chubby and stimulater for dry dropper. X-Caddis in tan and green . Ehc for rough water. Sounds like a lot but covers Caddis and mayflies adequately.

Here’s a large wet, to give you an idea View attachment 1641229228

Looks like a fluttering caddis tied in Adams colors.
Bet that would match a Grannom hatch pretty well too

Back