When wading for smallmouth, does anyone use a stripping basket?

H

HeavyWater

I’ve been obsessed with trout for a while. But this time of year I’m gonna try to find a good smallmouth spot. And in the fall I don’t like messing with the browns.

Anyway. I’ve been wading around and hucking streamers. And I think a stripping basket would help me shoot line better.

Do the smallmouth experts here use a stripping basket? I really can’t do the coiled line in my hand trick.

Thanks.

Best of luck with your pursuit of the smallmouth. You will have a blast, smallies on the fly rod definitely top my list of favorite fishing experiences.

I have never used a stripping basket before and never felt at a disadvantage. With that being said, I can see where it could be beneficial as you explained.

My saltwater friends are used to using stripping baskets on the beach and swear by them for smallie fishing; I don't use them much. I have tried them and they work OK for me, but I don't use them enough to be entirely comfortable so generally I do without. Depends what you are used to.

BTW, all my hardcore saltwater friends make their own out of plastic laundry tubs, a cheap plastic belt (maybe an old wading belt), and heavy nylon like the type used for weed wackers. Mostly stuff from a trip to the dollar store.

While I always use a stripping basket at the surf/jetty. . . I don't use a stripping basket for SMBs or for trout fishing as I really don't shoot that much line (I do occasionally use one when muskie fishing from a boat).

Nevertheless, there's no reason not to give it a try.

There are times when I'm wading in current when coils get pulled downstream and a stripping basket would make things easier. On the other hand, stripping baskets are bulky and take up space on your waist. As one who carries a lot of gear and a full vest when wading for bass/trout, a basket is something I'm usually happy not have strapped to me.

I definitely do not use a stripping basket and I wade and fish for smallmouth almost daily.

I don't carry one and have a difficult time thinking of a situation where the added clutter of doing so would be worth the increased distance I might get. I do most of my smallmouth fishing though in streams that average less than 75-80 feet wide and with flies that I need to be close enough to stay in contact with on a drift.

Maybe on a bigger river with top water stuff, but even then I doubt it...

I've never used a stripping basket when wading for smallmouth. The only time I've contemplated using one is when I'm fishing from a boat. There always seems to be something for the line to catch on.

Same as above. Never used a stripping basket while wading. The only benefit I could think of is if your wading in really fast current which I don’t do. Under normal conditions it’s not needed and I can’t say I’ve ever seen anybody wading with one. I have also contemplated a stripping bucket on the boat because of snags but right now I enjoy using the snag excuse for bad casting.

JerryC: This year I started using one all the time on a boat. After the initial mental and motor learning adjustment, I found it to be worth the extra bulk. It's a PIA when moving around the boat, though. There's no perfect solution.

I have not used one while wading. As Dave said, it would be beneficial in current. I also think there's an advantage to one if you walk a lot between hot spots.

I tried. The P.I.T.A. effecct from the stripping basket out wading was even greater than the P.I.T.A. factor of the stripped lines getting carried downstream by the current.
I had throught about some kind of thing to hang line over. Don Douple had this piece of plastic hardware, a slightly conical tube with about 1/4 inch corregations that he put at the bottom right front of his vest.
I mean, think of the spool of a spinning reel.

Because it really CAN'T be perfect, it will either drop line too easily or not release line easily enough. So people would complain and hate it because fly fishing itself is an ambiguous venture.

But I would love to see what people have come up with. Either something exists and is useful, or nothing is. People would have discovered this and NOBODY has a stripped line holder for wading anglers. I'm unaware of anything.

Sylvaneous wrote:
I tried. The P.I.T.A. effecct from the stripping basket out wading was even greater than the P.I.T.A. factor of the stripped lines getting carried downstream by the current.
I had throught about some kind of thing to hang line over. Don Douple had this piece of plastic hardware, a slightly conical tube with about 1/4 inch corregations that he put at the bottom right front of his vest.
I mean, think of the spool of a spinning reel.

Because it really CAN'T be perfect, it will either drop line too easily or not release line easily enough. So people would complain and hate it because fly fishing itself is an ambiguous venture.

But I would love to see what people have come up with. Either something exists and is useful, or nothing is. People would have discovered this and NOBODY has a stripped line holder for wading anglers. I'm unaware of anything.

Here is a fly line holder that's commercially available. I've never seen or used one, but maybe someone that has one can comment. It's very interesting >

Essentially the same thing as an archery bow hook.

s-l500.jpg

Back