>>>What Are You Tying Today? Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Going to see if the smallies like these this weekend!

Attachments

• 20220608_233631[1].jpg
    20220608_233631[1].jpg
    280.2 KB · Views: 5
PXL 20220612 020133544

Prince variant that performed well around Bozeman a few weeks ago

PXL 20220612 020203910

Caddis poop

PXL 20220612 015022908

Fatties that did really well for bass in stillwater the last few years. Tying them myself for the first time.

More perdigons. They have been very successful this year. These are Pheasant Tail/ Frenchie variants.

Attachments

• 20220614_122100.jpg
    20220614_122100.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 15
Snakehead stalker flies

Attachments

• 37081A1A-9F3C-48BE-8D76-7A04973FE65A.jpeg
    37081A1A-9F3C-48BE-8D76-7A04973FE65A.jpeg
    325.7 KB · Views: 11
PXL 20220622 011224630

Had some real trouble learning these the past few weeks, but I got a couple last night I was OK with.

Then I went back to my ongoing project of caddis stimulators and got pissed off all over again. The only curved hook I have is a size 14 nymph hook, and I've decided that's just absolutely too small to learn the pattern.

Here is the beginning of a series of dry patterns from the late Tom Deschaine. Tom was a high school biology teacher as well as an avid rod builder, fly fisher and tyer and a fly historian of Michigan dry flies. He had his own site - Michigan Dry Flies (michigandryflies.net). Tom was a regular contributor on the old Fly Anglers On-Line site where I was introduced to his work. This series is in honor of that fine work and the fine man.

Awesome - Inspired by a pattern developed by Ann Schweigert and Clem Thompson in the 1950's and was named at that time as the Lake Erie King AKA the Lake Erie Special. In the 1990's it was modified to what is shown. Unfortunately, the name of the person that made this modification has been lost to time. It's best fished from June to September and can imitate a deerfly or as a general buggy pattern.
Awesome

Hook - any dry, 12-16
Thread - orange
Tail - small clump of moose body hair
Post - white Hi-vis, trimmed (white poly used here
Body - peacock herl
Wings - grizzly hackle tips, tied delta style and down
Hackle - grizzly, tied parachute

Beel's March Brown - This pattern was developed by Paul Beel from Terra Haute, Indiana in 2013 to match the March Brown hatch on the Au Sable River in Michigan. Paul is the founder of the Frankenfly Fly site. It is best fished in the evening and is also a good bass fly as well.
1228547583_BeelsMarchBrown.thumb.jpg.4d565e1949f91b8f5ec759537b9488c9.jpg
Hook - Mustad 94840, 10-12
Thread - tan
Tail - small clump of mallard flank fibers
Post - white poly
Hackle - grizzly, tied parachute
Rib - dark brown monocord
Body - fine PMD color dubbing

Attachments

• Beel's March Brown.jpg
    Beel's March Brown.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 1
A contender for nfrechet's comprehensiveness crown??

Since you are a new-ish poster, I get the sense that you've developed this system for your tying on other forums/platforms? Could we get some links to where we might be familiarized with your prior work?

Since you are a new-ish poster, I get the sense that you've developed this system for your tying on other forums/platforms? Could we get some links to where we might be familiarized with your prior work?
I used to post a fair amount on FAOL when I had a nice camera to do it with. I took a trip to Florida and on my flight back some baggage handler must have needed a last-minute gift for their spouse! While I was hosting a swap a guy that lived only a 20-minute drive away posted the swap pictures and did a very nice job. So he and I made a deal, I tie the flies and he takes the pictures and keeps the flies and I get the pictures! Works for me!

Kim

Berger's Deer Hair Hex - Designed by William Berger of Flatrock, Michigan in the mid 1950's to be fished during the hex hatch. NOTE: The though the body has a crosshatched thread rib, the tail is separately wrapped so that the fly's length can be cut to adjust the fly's length.
Bergers Deer Hair Hex

Hook - Mustad 94840, 10
Thread - black
Body - natural deer hair, tied parallel and extended front and back
Rib - black thread tied crisscross
Wings - extended deer hair body butts, tied spent
Hackle - flared deer hair
Tail - extended deer body hair, tied in segments with separate thread wraps

NOTE: Though this fly is made up of only two bunches of deer hair it is NOT an easy tie! It'll take a few tries to get the proportions right.

Black Stone - This pattern (sometimes also known as the Dark Stone) was developed by Traverse City, Michigan fly tyer Art Winnie sometime between the 1920's to the '50's for use on the early season black stonefly hatches - February through April in Art's area.
Black Stone

Hook - Mustad dry fly, 10-12
Body - grey yarn
Rib - yellow monocord
Wings - grey goose, divided and tied down along the back
Head - peacock herl, tapered

I see Norm has been here too? Compared to Norm I'm his ugly older brother (and so are my flies!).

Last edited:
Bob Fortney - Created by R. G. "Bob" Fortney as an attractor pattern in 1932. Bob was the District Supervisor of Fisheries for the Michigan DOC. Mr. L. Robey of Newaygo, Michigan named the fly and tied it professionally. The original thread color was black but white and pink are preferred by some tyers.
Bob Fortney

Hook - standard Dry, 10-12
Thread - black
Tail - barred woodduck fibers
Body - pink floss
Rib - gold tinsel
Hackle - grizzly
Wing - blue dun tips, tied upright and divided

Cabin Coachman - This pattern was developed by Aggie Bugby from Grayling, MI sometime in the 1930's to early 1940's. The tail can use red hackle fibers in place of the brown. It's a great all-around attractor pattern. In the rose by any other name category, this pattern should NOT be confused by the pattern with this same name tied by John Stephan and George Mason.
1190185320_CabinCoachman.thumb.jpg.5ce55ca896aa0e26d67c9ba48a079cdb.jpg
Hook - Mustad 94840, 10-14
Thread - brown
Tail - brown hackle fibers
Body - peacock herl
Wing - mallard flank fibers, tied upright and divided
Hackle - brown

Catau's Brown Drake - Designed by Michigan's Dan Catau in the 1980's. Dan was a well-known professional fly tyer/fly designer for 40 years. It can be fished in the evening hours for both the Brown Drake ((Ephemera simulans) hatch as well as the slate grey drake (Isonychia sadleri) hatches. The PT body is pretty fragile so it is STRONGLY advised that you cover the body with a couple coats of lacquer - I like to use Sally Hansen's.
1199118637_CatausBrownDrake.thumb.jpg.8aea5768c37afcbebb74426eda74cb21.jpg
Hook - Mustad 94840 or 94842, 10-12
Thread - black or brown
Tail - 2 PT fibers, tied a little long
Body - PT fibers, wrapped then lacquered
Wing - furnace, tied upright and divide
Hackle - furnace

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back