>>>What Are You Tying Today? Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.
well, i think this one is going to do it for me

not many other tyers are posting any flies, so maybe they can step up and post some flies

maybe ill be back later, maybe not

see ya
Sorry but it’s time to fish now…..tying season is over.

not many other tyers are posting any flies, so maybe they can step up and post some flies

see ya

Flash-Loop-Emerger-1080.jpg

Flash Loop Emerger

Hook - Mustad C068, size 16-20

Thread - Brown

Tail - Light olive New Dub*

Wing - Olive krystal flash, looped

Thorax - Gray natural or synthetic dubbing

Collar - Grizzly hen hackle

*New Dub was a Giorgio Benecchi product that is no longer available or very hard to find.

New_Dub.jpg

Substitute with Hareline EZ Magic Dub

EZ_Magic_Dub.jpg

Federation of Fly Fishers Fly Pattern Encyclopedia
Ya can't just stop!! Your flies are works of art and I enjoy your post and quality of what you tie.

I enjoy looking at your posts as well. I'd doubt if anyone ties enough flies to keep up with you. Beautiful work.

see ya

Flash-Loop-Emerger-1080.jpg

Flash Loop Emerger

Hook - Mustad C068, size 16-20

Thread - Brown

Tail - Light olive New Dub*

Wing - Olive krystal flash, looped

Thorax - Gray natural or synthetic dubbing

Collar - Grizzly hen hackle

*New Dub was a Giorgio Benecchi product that is no longer available or very hard to find.

New_Dub.jpg

Substitute with Hareline EZ Magic Dub

EZ_Magic_Dub.jpg

Federation of Fly Fishers Fly Pattern Encyclopedia
I hope you keep posting. I often wonder just how large your material inventory must be considering the variety of flies you tie. I don’t post my ties too often. My IPhone camera doesn’t come close to whatever kind of macro lens you are using.

I check the thread and your work, nfrechet, pretty much daily. It gives me motivation and inspiration to tie.

Posting my flies regularly would be like filling a thread with photos of 7 inch stocked trout, though. If you're gone, you'll be missed.

Here's some recent hack work.

PXL 20220409 174523712PXL 20220419 125804872
PXL 20220419 182901796

So buggy! Hare's ear dubbing, z-lon shuck, deer hair and CDC wing?
You pretty much nailed it! Buggy is the primary trigger, imo.

I prefer to use crinkled Z-Lon for the tail, if you can find it, over straight Z- Lon, and the gray color that I use for the trailing shuck becomes very translucent when it’s wet, just like the real thing.

I get as many guard hairs as I possibly can in my hare’s ear dubbing, and on this pattern I also mixed in a bit of SLF squirrel spiky dubbing in the bleached ginger color, which is very close to the hare’s ear dubbing color. That particular SLF dubbing has a pinch of fine Antron in it which also facilitates putting the hare’s ear dubbing on the tying thread, plus the Antron also adds a bit of translucency.

As an aside, I’m a big fan of SLF dubbing. Throw away all of that Ice dubbing (except maybe some of the UV stuff) and just use SLF as far as I’m concerned. (I especially like the SLF prism dubbings.)

I also ribbed that fly with Sulky Holoshimmer 145-6032. A single CDC feather for an underwing, and a good sized pinch of fine deer hair for the overwing, as you said.

I just finished up tying up the frogs I plan to use for bass, chain pickerel and possibly pike. I may have posted this pattern before. It's a supersized version of one of my panfish bugs. I tied a large(3/0) and small pattern(1/0) The larger ones I scrapped. They were just too bulky for my 8 wgt, plus they always landed upside down. The smaller ones landed upside down maybe 70% of the time. I took out my only hollow plastic frog from my dark side box, and discovered that it was weighted in the back. So I inserted some worm weights in the back of the smaller ones, hopefully that will offset the weight of the hooks and they'll land hook up and be weedless.
DSCF1273.JPG.a8895f3f640f511db19cb025128f4d3e.JPG
Hook - Gamakatsu double hook, size 1/0, attached to 40 mm Big Game shank.
Body - two pieces of 6 mm foam(white, yellow, chartreuse) glued together. Hook and shank are sandwiched between the pieces. `
Thread - White, Big Fly
Legs - Spinner bait skirt layers
Eyes- 8.5 mm Living Eyes
Colors- Permanent Markers

These are another re-do. I stumbled on the "Gutless Frog" last year on another board and tied up a dozen. I tied them on 3/0 hooks and glued the body together. They turn out to be to large for the Ontario smallmouth and the body didn't slide down to expose the hook point. I tied these smaller, and in an oval(?) shape with plenty of space for the body to slide down.
DSCF1267.thumb.JPG.073c3711f5f24bd0872da9a57df5e3ab.JPG
The one change I made is I didn't add front legs. None of the plastic, soft body frogs, that are fished by dark side bass anglers have front legs. Which makes sense, since when a frog is swimming the front legs are pressed against the sides.
Hook - Ahrex Trout Predator Long, size 1/0
Body - 5 mm wide, strip of 6 mm craft foam(yellow, white or chartreuse)
Thread - White, yellow, chartreuse, Big Fly
Legs - Spinner bait skirt layers
Eyes- 6 mm Living Eyes
Here's a larger version tied on an Ahrex PR378 GB Swimbait hook size 2/0. I only tied two up, if they work I'll tie a couple more. Same materials as the "Gutless Frog". Only change, instead of the ends pointed out, I glued them to the sides, giving it more of a frog head.
DSCF1271.thumb.JPG.7278d55d2a0eb1a3487fb78cc0622f11.JPG
The last of the frogs. These came out of one those, "Why did I buy this material" situation. When Dragon Tails first came out I brought a couple of packs, large tails and small tails. Didn't particularly care for the flies that I tied with them. So they've been gathering dust. I was sitting at my tying desk after consuming some vodka looking at them. They sort of had a frog shape to them. "Let's see what I can come up with". Here they are.
DSCF1265.thumb.JPG.5830a9ad5bcd56ba85fd29ef9f08402a.JPG
DSCF1263.JPG.edf25f94439bb811eb3fac0dd05b6731.JPG
Hook -Ahrex Trout Predator Light, size 1
Body/legs - Front third of a large Dragon tail or the front third of two small dragon tails
Thread - White, yellow, chartreuse, Big Fly
Tail/feet - pieces of a brush I brought but never used
Head - 40 mm piece of 7/16 inch foam cylinder
Eyes- 8.5 mm Living Eyes

Purple1
Purple2

Purple and Black Soft Hackle

Hook: Daiichi Kilinkhammer size 16 (what I had laying around)
Tail/Shuck: UV2 Sparkle Hair Golden Olive
Body: Veevus Purple Holo Tinsel
Thorax: Ice Dub Pheasant Tail (a little bit behind the soft hackle)
Hackle: India Hen Neck Black

Fished this as a dropper on a euro rig and it worked pretty well on the stockies.

J.C. Electric Caddis variant

FogU4SNl.jpg

Size 14 Jig hook
Thread: Light Olive 6.0
Head: Tungston bead
Tail: Olive Ice Dubbing strands
Body: Olive Ice Dubbing laid horizontally and tied in. Then Clear Stretch Tubing with Silver SM wire (first treated with green marker) "worked" through the tubing.
Legs: White hackle with either brown or green marker, spun then trimmed on top. Brown marker applied to top trimmed hackle, then UV cement.

I was fishing Buffalo Creek a few days ago and I swear anything light green or fluorescent green they would take.

Getting my sulfur game on.
87EF6769 E58C 4B9D 8365 5774A42F7A40

Bucktail Deceivers for saltwater

Top is tied on 2/0 hook in hollow style (tips tied in pointing toward hook eye then folded back)
Bottom on short shank 1 hook tied like a regular Deceiver (tips tied in pointing toward hook point)

Couldn't quite get the taper right

IMG 6667

Size 12 Rusty Spinners

Hook: Orvis Curved Stonefly/Stimulator Hook
Tails: Microfibbets dun color
Body: Veevus rusty brown thread coated with Loon UV thin glue
Thorax: Superfine dubbing mahogany
Wings: Grizzly hackle clipped spinner style
Rusty spinner 1
Rusty spinner 2

Status
Not open for further replies.