>>>What Are You Tying Today? Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Last Post from Turkey:

Dave_W wrote:
Some giant articulated streamers....

Those look excellent Dave. I'd bet they come alive on the retrieve. Nicely done.

barrybarry wrote:
Hares Ear Soft Hackle. Tungsten bead. Size 14

Barry, these are outstanding. Very buggy.

Squiggly Worms. Perhaps on the edge of a true fly.....but when nuthin is biting.....

QHaLUTy.jpg

Nice worms Steeltrap. I tie the "Infamous Pink Worm". It saved me twice in unexpectedly muddy streams.

This is a Scud pattern tied on curved and straight hooks. Size 16. 3 different colors.

Attachments

• scud_small.jpg
    scud_small.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 66
Thanks guys. Barrybarry, your scuds look great as well. I've been tying up scuds as well....because they just work!

I've never had any luck with the red San-quan worm tie. Or even the green worm tie. Maybe a confidence factor but those just don't work.

A little rubber wiggle may be the ticket!

A few bead worms and 3 sizes of Adams. Need more Adams but my 65yo eyes ain't what they use to be.

xYd55Z5h.jpg

Yjwk5aZh.jpg

FWIW, I tied a few more Adams today. Tied some using duck wings and some using para-post.

For me, the para-post is a bit easier.

I've been working on some bass bugs the last month or so. Pictures at end.

Picture 1
Meade's Gutless Frog. A new pattern for me this year. There was a post in this section about it, a month or so ago. It's supposed to be weedless. It looks like it can be fished off a sinking line so I did a couple up in crayfish colors. I'll find out in a couple of months when the weather warms up.

Picture 2
Tony's Froggie. I learned this pattern from Tony Spezio, a local NJ tyer, until he retired and moved to Arkansas to live on the White River. He designed it as a panfish fly and I usually tie it on size 6 2xl for bluegills, rock bass and other sunfish.

Picture 3
The third fly really doesn't have a name. The initial template for the panfish version was the soft foam spider bodies you can buy on line and in fly shops. Usually, tied on a size 6 2 xl hook.

Picture 4
For lack of a better name I calls this one the Heart Popper. Based on a foam pattern shown to me by Harrison Steeves, instead of the head being glued to the sides of the body, I left them open. I added legs on the ones in the bottom two rows since I took the picture. Has a bit of a Jitterbug action when retrieved with a steady strip.

Some general information. They're all made out of craft foam. 6 mm for the first three patterns. The first two are strips of the 6 mm foam. The third is an arrowhead shaped piece of 6 mm foam. Tied on 2/0 Ahrex Trout Predator Long hooks. The last batch are tied with a heart shaped piece of 2 mm craft foam. Tied on a size 4 Gamakatsu B10S. Colors are permanent markers. Legs are spinner bait skirt layers, otherwise known as Sili Legs or Crazy Legs.

Attachments

• P2140982.JPG
    P2140982.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 37
  • P2140987.JPG
    P2140987.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 34
  • P2140984.JPG
    P2140984.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 36
  • P2140990.JPG
    P2140990.JPG
    81.4 KB · Views: 36
Batch 3 are Gill Killers.

I've seen these type before. They're just for display?

Baron wrote:
I've seen these type before. They're just for display?

Yes, mine are just for display. I frame a lot of fancy flies and also incorporate them into shadowboxes in larger mats surrounding paintings.

However, this style of fly copies a tying genre that was common a century ago, mainly in New England. There was a popular style of streamer fly with feather wing tied on a very long shank hook or with some type of trailer hook. This was designed to create a very long fly that resembled a smelt. These flies were usually trolled on a pond or lake by an angler in a rowboat targeting brook trout or landlocked salmon.

You can still fish with feather wing streamers like this and they still work well, although few FFers use this style of streamer anymore, preferring deer hair, marabou, synthetic or other materials for streamers.

I'd imagine they take a bit longer to tie as well.

Striking.

Olive-New-Dub-1080.jpg

Euro Style Jig Nymph

Hook - Hends BL 154 Jig Competition or equivalent

Bead - Slotted or countersunk tungsten/brass, sized accordingly to hook size

Thread - Orange

Tail - Pheasant tail fibers

Ribbing - Copper wire

Body - Georgio Benecchi's New Dub light olive or equivalent substitute

Thorax - Peacock herl

You do nice work nfrechet!

Vermont_Caddis_1080.jpg