Water Level/Stream Gauge Guidance

The human body is remarkably buoyant if you don’t panic and know how to swim.

I’m not talking about the Yellowstone river here- this is Penns creek, the little J, spring, etc very few places where your life is in any danger if you take a lil swim even at 700 cfs. Gotta wade aggressively to get a good drift- it’s just part of the fun.
Sometimes I think people forget that they float.

And, yes, I think people often exaggerate how harsh PA creeks are. I fished the Little J on 18 APR 2021 (Sunday). I'd have to check the flow report (if I can, which I'm not going to do for the sake of this comment) but the flows felt average and I could see the bottom anywhere in the creek, so nothing remarkable. One of my multiple fishing partners deemed the creek too dangerous to wade for reasons unknown to me. I waded in, skating a across a massive slab of bedrock that was quite slippery, wading in until the water was about an inch below the chest area of my waders and proceeded to bomb casts upstream. Guess who caught the 18 inch brown that day?

That said, once you realize you’re in a bad spot and you’re gonna fall, step one is let go of the rod, or anything else in your hand at the time. It’s better for both you (frees up your hands to brace your fall with) and there’s less likely a chance to break your rod by dropping it, than by landing with your weight on it. I often half toss the rod clear away from me if I know I’m going down.
I actually prefer to fall onto my reel to check the structural integrity of said reel. Don't try this with a Lamson!

My problem is that I'm always looking for rises.
And when I spot one, I tend to focus on it as I move into casting range.
Instead of where I'm walking.
Guilty of this more than most. On land there could be a rattler sunning itself right in front of me and I'd be none the wiser. Problems of tunnel vision...

I actually prefer to fall onto my reel to check the structural integrity of said reel. Don't try this with a Lamson!
I smashed/bent up the spool housing pretty bad on one of my beater Okuma Sierra reels on one of my Brookie rods falling once. To the point it wouldn’t turn. Had a leatherman with pliers on me and was able to bend it back out and continue the day fortunately. Still use it now.

My problem is that I'm always looking for rises.
And when I spot one, I tend to focus on it as I move into casting range.
Instead of where I'm walking.

Tough habit to break but I'm trying
I've also grudgingly began to use a wading staff more, since I took that nasty fall several years ago

Ed Shenk, at one of the fly shows, said something like: When you're casting, don't walk. When you're walking, don't cast.

Probably not his exact words, but you get the meaning. They should teach that in beginning flyfishing lessons. It's fundamental. When walking on rough, slippery surfaces you need to pay attention to where you are placing your feet.

I used to fall hard once or twice a year when fishing small freestone streams, landing more on rocks than water. That's painful and dangerous. Since I've been trying to follow that advice, it's made a huge difference.

That's impressive. Good recovery! Isn't the Okuma Sierra reel made of pot metal though? I thought it'd have a tendency to crack if you tried to bend it back in place. I had one (same reel) that I jacked from a fly rod that was bought for my sister for some reason (she has ZERO interest in FF). It got run over by an SUV after I sat it on top of my car and rolled off. It was done after that. Not reel could have survived that. Silly me, I'm glad I ditched my poor gear handling habits once I started getting nicer stuff.

I have an ABEL TR I fell on. I could hear the dollar signs in value dropping as it smacked against the rocks. Picked it back up and it had a tiny scratch on it. I think this reel is made of tungsten! I should also refrain from trying to smoke a cigar and fish at the same time (trying to look the part).

That's impressive. Good recovery! Isn't the Okuma Sierra reel made of pot metal though? I thought it'd have a tendency to crack if you tried to bend it back in place. I had one (same reel) that I jacked from a fly rod that was bought for my sister for some reason (she has ZERO interest in FF). It got run over by an SUV after I sat it on top of my car and rolled off. It was done after that. Not reel could have survived that. Silly me, I'm glad I ditched my poor gear handling habits once I started getting nicer stuff.

I have an ABEL TR I fell on. I could hear the dollar signs in value dropping as it smacked against the rocks. Picked it back up and it had a tiny scratch on it. I think this reel is made of tungsten! I should also refrain from trying to smoke a cigar and fish at the same time (trying to look the part).
Yeah. Part of it bent back out and part of the lip just broke off while bending it. Which in combination provided the clearance to let the spool spin again. They’re ugly cheapo reels to start with. Perfect for Brookie rods.

Hey man, that broken off lip is just weight reduction.

I'd like to see a pic of the brute, a true warrior for sure!

Okuma Sierra is a great value in the fly fishing world. So is the Okuma SLV. So are those Piscifun Swords.....pretty dang nice for the coin.

Okuma Sierra is a great value in the fly fishing world. So is the Okuma SLV. So are those Piscifun Swords.....pretty dang nice for the coin.
Maybe if I was working at McDonald's...

My gripe here is not with Okuma, they have yet to do any of what I call false advertising or advertising that angers/annoys me. Piscifun claims their reels are machined. Machined from what exactly? Perhaps melted down soda cans? Seems like the company is trying to make itself appear classier.

All in all, for the most part, reels are line holders. I just like a bit of flare and a good feeling/sounding reel (the CFO I just picked up, f***ing money in the sound/feel category, even though it's a righty). I look at reels the way Patrick Bateman looks at business cards. Yes, I sweat when looking at an Ari Hart reel. I like knowing I could toss the spool of an Abel Super or Tibor into a hockey rink to be used as a puck and know that it will come out hardly dented and be ready to go stop a bonefish.

I don't even know where I'm going with this, I haven't had lunch yet so I'm super hyper and I never miss a chance to take a jab @jifigz. Sorry buddy. Anyways who is fishing Penns this weekend? I should be there tomorrow and Friday.

Last edited:
Maybe if I was working at McDonald's...

My gripe here is not with Okuma, they have yet to do any of what I call false advertising or advertising that angers/annoys me. Piscifun claims their reels are machined. Machined from what exactly? Perhaps melted down soda cans? Seems like the company is trying to make itself appear classier.

All in all, for the most part, reels are line holders. I just like a bit of flare and a good feeling/sounding reel (the CFO I just picked up, f***ing money in the sound/feel category, even though it's a righty). I look at reels the way Patrick Bateman looks at business cards. Yes, I sweat when looking at an Ari Hart reel. I like knowing I could toss the spool of an Abel Super or Tibor into a hockey rink to be used as a puck and know that it will come out hardly dented and be ready to go stop a bonefish.

I don't even know where I'm going with this, I haven't had lunch yet so I'm super hyper and I never miss a chance to take a jab @jifigz. Sorry buddy. Anyways who is fishing Penns this weekend? I should be there tomorrow and Friday.
Let me rephrase. The Okuma reels and the Piscifun represent a high level of quality for those that care about spending time catching fish and learning to be a fine fly fisherman and not looking the part of a sophisticated, fancy pants angler.

I'll be on streams less traveled than Penns this weekend. Way, way less traveled. I prefer it that way. I'll even fish my Okuma Sierra with a 4 weight Air-Cel line and a Cabela's Three Forks. I haven't fished that rod in years. Grand total for that package-less than $100. I'll get pics @Silent Ocelot

Let me rephrase. The Okuma reels and the Piscifun represent a high level of quality for those that care about spending time catching fish and learning to be a fine fly fisherman and not looking the part of a sophisticated, fancy pants angler.

I'll be on streams less traveled than Penns this weekend. Way, way less traveled. I prefer it that way. I'll even fish my Okuma Sierra with a 4 weight Air-Cel line and a Cabela's Three Forks. I haven't fished that rod in years. Grand total for that package-less than $100. I'll get pics @Silent Ocelot
Good luck and we’ll all look forward to those pics. You’ve posted some good ones recently.
I know you previously said that you don’t drink anymore. However, if you did drink, I can just picture a can or 2 of PBR in your ”quiver.”

@lycoflyfisher, I don't even have 10k in my bank account, I prefer my assets over hard cash. If I had 10k in my account I'd be in the market for a nice manual sports car, maybe that new Toyota 86.

My comment was specifically designed to antagonize jifigs.

I'll even fish my Okuma Sierra with a 4 weight Air-Cel line and a Cabela's Three Forks. I haven't fished that rod in years. Grand total for that package-less than $100. I'll get pics @Silent Ocelot
That's a nice setup there bud, what Goodwill did you purchase it from?

@lycoflyfisher, I don't even have 10k in my bank account, I prefer my assets over hard cash. If I had 10k in my account I'd be in the market for a nice manual sports car, maybe that new Toyota 86.

My comment was specifically designed to antagonize jifigs.
You didn't bother me one bit. It is a general attitude of the likes that you presented in your post, however, that gives us fly fishermen a bad reputation as elitist pricks.

You also seem out of touch with reality for a lot of folks, too. Everyone's life experience is different, though.

That's a nice setup there bud, what Goodwill did you purchase it from?
Well, the rod came from an internet order from Cabela's, I think it was on sale for $35. The reel was bought from a now out of business local store called Lewistown Fishing & Hunting. I bought it shortly after I started fly fishing. On another day I also bought an Eagle Claw Featherlight there. The line I think came from Amazon. I've always thought the SA Air-Cel was a good, cost effective line, however.

If I ever find a new person starting out without a lot of money I'd gift them the whole setup and tie them some flies. I did that in the past to a kid with a White River Dogwood Canyon 6 weight. He learned to fly fish.

I don't have a whole lot but I'm generous with what I do have.

So the Delaware Valley has received 3 plus inches of rain in the last few days and it’s still raining. What’s North Central been like in the last 72 hours and predictions for the next several?

Back