Warren County Stinky Stream

BigBronco

BigBronco

I recently moved from SEPA to SWPA and I have been doing some exploring on the streams out here. Today I filled up the gas tank and ventured out to the Titusville area. On a hunch I stopped at West Hickory Creek to check it out. When I arrived it was raining heavy and the stream was up, but still fishable. The first thing that I noticed about this stream was an oil slick running down it. While I was fishing it I could smell a petroluem odor and now my waders stink like diesel. I see on my Delorme map that there are oil fields all over the area. Does anyone know if this is a normal ocurrence from oil field runoff or is this stuff seeping from the ground? Any info would be great .

PS I didn't find any fish in my 20 minutes there.

I don't know if it is normal, but any time you encounter a situation like this, you should call DEP or the Fish & Boat Commission and report it. It shouldn't be a normal situation and DEP should investigate it. It probably isn't too late to make the call, although they may not be able to observe the situation at this point, they can be on the lookout next time the rains bring the creek up.

JackM wrote:
I don't know if it is normal, but any time you encounter a situation like this, you should call DEP or the Fish & Boat Commission and report it. It shouldn't be a normal situation and DEP should investigate it. It probably isn't too late to make the call, although they may not be able to observe the situation at this point, they can be on the lookout next time the rains bring the creek up.

Information on reporting incidents to DEP can be found by clicking here.
http://www.depweb.state.pa.us/dep/cwp/view.asp?a=1177&q=479986

To report incidents to the FBC, contact the regional enforcement officer
http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat/dir_regions.htm

Thanks gentlemen, I was just seeing if anyone knew if this was the norm for out here. I'm glad that nobody responded with that it is. I'm adding the DEP's phone number to my cell phone right now.

Back