Wading access/parking on lower Penns Creek?

discomidge

discomidge

Now that the C&R section of Penns is generally too hot for my tastes I wanna focus on smallies on lower Penns, but I don't know much about access down there. I live pretty close to it and have scouted some sections, but it's really tough to tell where it's cool to park and wade. I know a couple spots upstream from Penns Creek (the town) where I've had some small jaw fun in the past, but I'm wondering if anyone could point me toward access points downstream from there. Might be a long shot, but I figured it was worth asking. I've heard there's access near the Little Mexico campground for example but don't really know where. I'm not looking for anyone to share their honey holes of course, I'm just wondering where I can park my car and wade in without upsetting anyone. Any advice would be much appreciated!

You can park in New Berlin and fish the immediate area or walk a bit up or down stream. Just be careful, it can get deep even when the overall water flows are low. I have fished it over the years with Clousers in Chartuese and White and small poppers with great success. My bass rod is actually a steel head rod, 9'8wt, that works great on big flies. Overkill, no not really, you will find out soon enough on a large bass... Good luck.

There is a township (Buffalo) parking lot and pavilion on Creek Road west/upstream of the Penns Creek bridge. It is at the intersection of Creek Road and Wildwood Road.

It is Limestone Township Recreational Area saw the sign on my way up to Union County Sportsmen’s Club on Saturday.

Thanks for the correction it is Limestone Township, I should know better having worked with the tax assessment office for many years.

So, about 90% of the time I head to central/west Snyder Co, I cross Penns at the bridge below Kratzerville. Just below the bridge there are "no parking" signs, BUT there are always cars or trucks parked there. I don't know what the deal is. Maybe ask the neighbors?

Thanks all. I'm familiar with that pavilion, it's a cool spot for sure. And I've also wondered about the parking next to that bridge near Kratzerville. I drive by it fairly regularly and my experience is the same as yours - there's often someone parked there and fishing even though it's posted. Maybe I'll go knock on doors. I've also seen fishermen parked along the road downstream from that but I think it's posted down there too.

Back