Van Reed Paper Mill Dam Removal Story

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
Very informative article about the dam removal on Cacoosing Creek, a trib to the Tulpehocken in Berks County >

They made a mess of this project...IMO

I'll be interested to look around next time I get over there.

Besides opening it for fish movement, it likely to be a couple of degrees cooler at junction.

yeah I view it as short term bad, long term good kind of thing. And curious on how long it'll take to flush on down through.

I think it's likely, in time, more wild browns will be in that section of the Tully. Cacoosing already was an excellent brown trout stream and I've caught a handful of wild ones over the years in the Tully in the confluence hole there. But that dam wasn't very far upstream, those wild browns either came down over the dam, or were a very small isolated population below it. With the dam removed, once the sediment situation stabilizes, I think you'll get more movement of fish in and out of Cacoosing, both stockies and wild fish. And perhaps help keep the Tully a degree or so cooler below there too.

The short term shame of it is, there was that deep ledge right at the confluence that really held over a lot of fish, that, at the moment anyway, is pretty messed up.

Last edited:
Yeah it definitely looks messed up. The amount of very fine gravel/sand that is laying over the entire bottom of Cacoosing on down into the main creek is crazy. My guess is that it will flush out but it might take a heck of a torrent to move it. This is not like normal silt you see on a lot of creeks around here. This is very heavy material.

So you're saying we need us a good hurricane? lol

That'll send it out into the Tully, but, during big flood events they hold the dam back. I think it'll take longer to get it out of the Tully because they never really let it fully flood, and it'll eventually settle out behind Gring's Mill.

When McCoy Dam on Spring Creek was removed, a massive amount of sediment was deposited downstream from the site. Just below the former dam, next to the present parking lot, they removed a lot of sediment and trucked it away.

But below that, where the stream is along the rr tracks, the stream gradient is low, so the water velocity isn't very high, and a lot of sediment stayed there for quite a while. But I think it's gone now and back pretty much to prior conditions. It took several years, though. Low flows and even average flows don't move it. It takes high flow events.

When McCoy Dam on Spring Creek was removed, a massive amount of sediment was deposited downstream from the site. Just below the former dam, next to the present parking lot, they removed a lot of sediment and trucked it away.

But below that, where the stream is along the rr tracks, the stream gradient is low, so the water velocity isn't very high, and a lot of sediment stayed there for quite a while. But I think it's gone now and back pretty much to prior conditions. It took several years, though. Low flows and even average flows don't move it. It takes high flow events.
Yes, one needs to sit back and allow the impacts, positive or negative, to work themselves out for a couple of years before drawing any real conclusions. Most projects look like “H” in the beginning, either downstream or upstream, but they usually look good or much better as time passes. On the occasions in which I have been somewhat disappointed, the disappointment did not pertain to the dam removal itself, but rather the absence or limited follow-through with respect to upstream habitat enhancement in the area once covered by the impoundment. That work, however, for the most part can’t be done right away because the initial channel post-removal deepens and sometimes moves laterally as well. One needs to allow the stream to seek its final depth and location as long as the lateral shift is not threatening infrastructure, such as a road.

I would add that there often isn’t enough funding remaining after the initial work done to remove a dam so it becomes an opportunity for sportsmen to get involved, especially with wild trout streams. With respect to riparian plantings, however, this may not be as overwhelming as one might think since tree and shrub planting events are enjoyed by many different groups and service organizations.

As to ground cover, the new riparian areas usually green up in many areas pretty quickly because of all of the seeds that have been sequestered in breached impoundments’ sediments for years. I say many areas because depending upon sediment depth, newly formed stream embankments may need to be tapered back from their initial vertical profile in order to get vegetation to take hold.

Last edited:
Wh

What do you think they did wrong, and what would have been a better approach?
A lot of the funding was put into engineering. Yes, there were some obstacles, but engineering chewed up a lot of money. Also, the sediment behind the dam was to be removed as I understand it. Not sure what happened and why the plan changed. There is still a massive cut in the legacy sediment and it continues to be scoured out and washed down stream. There are tree plantings and seeding scheduled for the spring, but too much sediment is still being washed out. I know DEP is not pleased with the work.

Sometimes sitting back and waiting is not enough, it seems? Is it true that there is remediation needed on the dam project above Fish Hatchery Rd. on the LL? That sediment has not seemed to flush out on its own.

I am no engineer, but I liken these projects in some ways to the retention ponds mandated all over the country. Even if the plans and intentions are good, they are left in the hands of those doing the labor. As a result, some dry ponds after even heavy rains.... And some bad dam projects too....

Does anyone here have experience dredging a flowing body of water and the expenses entailed with the excavation, handling trucking to a disposal site? The costs can become astronomical, there will still be significant sediment released into the stream and the end result may not always be much different.

I am not saying to ignore the sediment movement that occurs with dam removals, but there has to be realistic expectations. Dams such as this have been in place for decades, in some cases centuries. They are holding back a lot of sediment that otherwise would have been transported through the watershed, the sediment is already in the stream. It is not a case of an illicit discharge of thousands of cubic yards of material into a stream.

Not to mention the public safety risk of allowing dams to fail on their own along with the environmental harm that could come from uncontrolled breaches.

I am sure additional measure could have been taken at this specific site (greatly increasing project cost), but there is going to be a significant thermal benefit for the Tully and the improved connectivity between the Tully and Cacoosing is more than likely going to improve wild trout populations in the watershed. Give mother nature some time to respond to the project, I think it is pre-mature to call this project a failure.

Longer range this dam’s removal would represent part 1 of a three part exercise. The other two parts, in an ideal world if they ever came to fruition, would be (going downstream from Cacoosing’s confluence), a rock ramp fish passage facility on river right of Grings Mill Dam and removal of Bushong Dam near the confluence with the Schuylkill. Fish already leap to try to get over Grings Mill Dam at that specific location because of an existing natural bedrock ramp at that location. It isn’t quite high enough for passage, however, except for eels. Bushong appeared to be getting close to being approved for removal in the past, but then the idea met opposition.

Last edited:
Yes, one needs to sit back and allow the impacts, positive or negative, to work themselves out for a couple of years before drawing any real conclusions. Most projects look like “H” in the beginning, either downstream or upstream, but they usually look good or much better as time passes. On the occasions in which I have been somewhat disappointed, the disappointment did not pertain to the dam removal itself, but rather the absence or limited follow-through with respect to upstream habitat enhancement in the area once covered by the impoundment. That work, however, for the most part can’t be done right away because the initial channel post-removal deepens and sometimes moves laterally as well. One needs to allow the stream to seek its final depth and location as long as the lateral shift is not threatening infrastructure, such as a road.

I would add that there often isn’t enough funding remaining after the initial work done to remove a dam so it becomes an opportunity for sportsmen to get involved, especially with wild trout streams. With respect to riparian plantings, however, this may not be as overwhelming as one might think since tree and shrub planting events are enjoyed by many different groups and service organizations.

As to ground cover, the new riparian areas usually green up in many areas pretty quickly because of all of the seeds that have been sequestered in breached impoundments’ sediments for years. I say many areas because depending upon sediment depth, newly formed stream embankments may need to be tapered back from their initial vertical profile in order to get vegetation to take hold.
A very reasoned reply.
Does anyone here have experience dredging a flowing body of water and the expenses entailed with the excavation, handling trucking to a disposal site? The costs can become astronomical, there will still be significant sediment released into the stream and the end result may not always be much different.

I am not saying to ignore the sediment movement that occurs with dam removals, but there has to be realistic expectations. Dams such as this have been in place for decades, in some cases centuries. They are holding back a lot of sediment that otherwise would have been transported through the watershed, the sediment is already in the stream. It is not a case of an illicit discharge of thousands of cubic yards of material into a stream.

Not to mention the public safety risk of allowing dams to fail on their own along with the environmental harm that could come from uncontrolled breaches.

I am sure additional measure could have been taken at this specific site (greatly increasing project cost), but there is going to be a significant thermal benefit for the Tully and the improved connectivity between the Tully and Cacoosing is more than likely going to improve wild trout populations in the watershed. Give mother nature some time to respond to the project, I think it is pre-mature to call this project a failure.
Another very reasoned reply.

I'm a little late to this thread, but saw what many were talking about first-hand late last summer. For anyone who needs a visual, this video shows it all:

Been involved with a few dam removals in NJ, one 200 yds from where I lived. Many surprises, but generally good results in the end. Sediment did take a few years to clear up and stream bed above needed time to settle into a new channel, but eventually stream was in better shape.

It helped move sediment where rock vanes were built to funnel current below dam (although some didn't work out). Best results where vanes were anchored well to side of stream so stream banks didn't erode to bypass them. Rock vanes were needed to focus stream flow under bridges. Need to dig down to anchor rocks to old gravel because if just on sediment from dam the softer sediment will erode away and the rock will sink until it becomes stable on the old gravel. Just dropping rocks in river isn't always effective. Need big rocks to stay put - sometimes hard to find.

Rapids created after removal had more noise than spill over dam.

Eventually, fishing pressure spread out from the pool just below the dam to a number of spots,

In one place purple loosestrife took over the mud flats in the former pool. Bugs to control the loosestrife were released which knocked out the loosestrife, but then stinging nettle took over. I don't know which was better, but wet wading in shorts is out now.

Planting trees and shrubs required keeping cages around to keep deer away. Harder than you think because they would be washed away or filled with junk after high water events and required regular maintenance. Sycamores were OK because deer don't eat them, but they also seed naturally.

One great thing is to let local school kids plant trees. The long term benefit is that you get local people that really care about the stream and watch it. The people who plant trees and maintain them are proud of their work and very protective of the local stream.

My family owns the papermill property as well as the stretch of land that accompanies it. The project has come a long way but still should not be fished at this time. Also the property is private. That being said, there are other stretches of the cacoosing that hold great fish alongside public access. Google maps or OnX hunt can be helpful tools to putting in the legwork and finding your next great spot if you're looking for browns. We still experience dumping, extensive trash and trespassing for other reasons constantly.

Very informative article about the dam removal on Cacoosing Creek, a trib to the Tulpehocken in Berks County >

The link doesn't open

My family owns the papermill property as well as the stretch of land that accompanies it. The project has come a long way but still should not be fished at this time. Also the property is private. That being said, there are other stretches of the cacoosing that hold great fish alongside public access. Google maps or OnX hunt can be helpful tools to putting in the legwork and finding your next great spot if you're looking for browns. We still experience dumping, extensive trash and trespassing for other reasons constantly.
Appreciate your family being a willing partner in the restoration of that stream.

Back