Tying in Partridge Hackle

Partridge hackle collars frustrate the heck out of me mostly because it’s so hard to get the right size feather for a #14 or #16. I have tried the methods in Tim’s other videos for using larger feathers but am rarely satisfied with the result.

Partridge hackle collars frustrate the heck out of me mostly because it’s so hard to get the right size feather for a #14 or #16. I have tried the methods in Tim’s other videos for using larger feathers but am rarely satisfied with the result.
This method works great!!! I use it all the time since like you, most of my partridge feathers are too long for smaller flies. Give it a try.

Last edited:
I will second afishionados video he posted above. A few months ago I had the same problem and he was kind enough to post that same video. I can tie soft hackels all the way down to size 22 now. My favorite is the hares ear soft hackle.

Just another reason why nice users like him and others are so helpful on this site!

I have used that method. Probably just need some more experience with it.

I will second afishionados video he posted above. A few months ago I had the same problem and he was kind enough to post that same video. I can tie soft hackels all the way down to size 22 now. My favorite is the hares ear soft hackle.
I'll sometimes use that method even if I have the right sized hackle if the stem is too thick or too twisted to wrap properly. (Mallard coverts often fall into that category.)

Back