Tulpehocken or Quittie DHALO this weekend

H

HourAway

Hello everyone,
Brand new to the site, not brand new to fly fishing but have been away from the sport for quite some time. Just getting back into it this season, and getting my son interested in it as well. Trying to decide between fishing Tulpehocken or Quittie this weekend, I’ve never fished either and I’m looking for suggestions as to which might be a better choice for a couple novice fly fishermen?
Thanks for any tips or advice!
Steve

I haven't fished the Quittie for quite a few years and the Tully for a couple of years. The casting will be easier on the Tully for novice anglers. It's bigger with easy wading which makes it pretty likely to be able to make a backcast. Sorry, that's all I've got.

I haven't fished the Quittie for quite a few years and the Tully for a couple of years. The casting will be easier on the Tully for novice anglers. It's bigger with easy wading which makes it pretty likely to be able to make a backcast. Sorry, that's all I've got.
Thanks!
Exactly the type of info I was looking for!

Thanks!
Exactly the type of info I was looking for!
Tully hands down, i have fished both many times. You got a shot a larger fall fish there too if you have a novice who needs some action.

I used to fish the Quitty a lot in the nature park. Not far from home. Only there once or twice in the last year. It was a good terrestrial stream in the summer and the stocked browns would readily take a beetle. Standard nymphs work well as do woolly buggers. I think it would be a good choice for you and your son. You might find some rising fish here and there that will take a cdc caddis.

Tulpehocken is a good choice too but likely crowded on the weekend. Usually have the Quitty to myself even on a Saturday.

Thanks for the reply’s guys.
Tried Tully today, not very successful but great to get out anyway.

I love the Tully. As a beginner, getting tangled every cast was frustrating on the smaller streams, so the Tully is nice and open.

I used to fish the Quitty a lot in the nature park. Not far from home. Only there once or twice in the last year. It was a good terrestrial stream in the summer and the stocked browns would readily take a beetle. Standard nymphs work well as do woolly buggers. I think it would be a good choice for you and your son. You might find some rising fish here and there that will take a cdc caddis.

Tulpehocken is a good choice too but likely crowded on the weekend. Usually have the Quitty to myself even on a Saturday.
One summer (a hot one) we fished the lower Quitty a couple times and did well. Fair number of risers and caught some on BWOs, beetles and and ants. Nice water. I'll check the map. I wouldn't mind hearing about some other people who have fished the lower area. We never had a whole lot of luck at the park.

We fished up from Syner Road and bit North of 422 which had one huge pool if I remember correctly.

Quittie: 30 years ago, fished from the treatment plant down to the stone arched bridge. That was long before they started stocking it again. Fair numbers of wild browns and some wild bows to boot. Fish were typically 9" - 16". Had a nice trico hatch and lots of weeds. Not sure how much of that section is still accessible.

Quittie: 30 years ago, fished from the treatment plant down to the stone arched bridge. That was long before they started stocking it again. Fair numbers of wild browns and some wild bows to boot. Fish were typically 9" - 16". Had a nice trico hatch and lots of weeds. Not sure how much of that section is still accessible.
When did the stocking start? Is the Stone Bridge where Killinger runs in? Never fished there but did at the quarry. It looked nice but we didn't catch anything.

Pretty sure it's fairly heavily stocked from 422 almost to the mouth. Wasn't the water quality improved and added back to stocking list somewhere around 2000-ish?

Back