Tube Flies

ryguyfi

ryguyfi

Just picked up the latest edition of Fly fishing and tying journal. It had an article in it about what's called tube flies. Mainly were terrestrials. Now I just briefly ran through it but they told a little bit about the advantages. The flies themselves were tied on a small piece of clear tubing, then the line and hook eye were threaded through. They said they last longer because durring hookups they will sometimes slide down the leader causing less stress on the fly itself. They also said it gave a better presentation. I am new to this whole thing and just wondering what a new tying technique like this compares to the traditional way. What's everyone's take on this... sorry dont have the article or any pictures...

http://www.tpagsco.com/T_Pags_Co_Website/TF_Gallery.html

site i found with a few pics of what i read about

Not sure how new a technique it is, I know I've been reading articles on it for several years. In a way it's not that different than rigging an off-shore or in-shore salt water trolling lure which I've done plenty of. If you really get into it there are tubes, aluminum, plastic, and copper, specifically made for this. There's also a special tool/jaws that you can buy to mount the tube on when you're tying one and a special piece of plastic tubing to hold the hook in place when you're fishing it.
I've tied a few up, mainly Crease Flies, and couple pencil poppers, where I used spare drink stirrers or the blue plastic Q-tips as the tube, and like the article I used an needle to hold them in place while I worked on the fly.
I hadn't thought about using the hollow larvae lace, for smaller patterns. I know I have a note on my desk to look for some in my material boxes and drawers. It will give me a use for those size 18 treble hooks I've got.
I can't see any difference between tying a tube, and tying the "traditional" way. You're just tying it on a different platform. A tube vs. a hook shank.
Are there advantages, probably, but more related to going after larger fish than panfish or the average trout.
A large fish has less leverage in a fight with a tube, as there's no hook shank involved.
Whether it saves wear and tear on a fly is debatable. I've seen a lot of lures which operate on the same principle get tore up real quick. The fish still has to grab the fly before it gets hooked. I've certainly done more damage to a standard fly trying removing it from a fish's mouth than the fight did. So chalk up the fact the fly is away from the hook when you're removing it as an advantage.
Does it help presentation? Don't know as the ones I've used are not delicate and they landed the same way the ones tied on standard hooks.
Those patterns looked interesting. I'm going to tie up a few of my own and give them a try.

Back