Tough Day on the Tobyhanna

C

Canoetripper

Moderators please move this if I am at the wrong place.

It is June 18 and the water temperature is warmer than the air temperature. The wind has been brutal. My 9'/7 wt. was not getting it done. I had to turn on the propane heater on June 18 at the cabin.

Hopefully, tomorrow is a better day. Normally, I am wet wading here at this time of year.

Yesterday was a good day to tie flies and organize gear.

Even in perkiomen valley it was too windy.

Today looks more of the same.

I'm glad for the cooler weather, it cooled some of the local streams down that were approaching lethal levels. Should prolong fishing for stockers for a little longer.

Another tough weekend for me on the Tobyhanna. A lot of weekday rain and high water. Not complaining, just explaining.

I can find other things to do while I am there.

How are water temps on the Tobyhanna? Just curious for reference. Most if the larger freestoners in ncpa are too warm for catch and release fishing.

That is a great question. I belong to an R&G club right outside of Blakeslee. The Tobyhanna property is the border of both Monroe and Carbon counties as it flows north into the Lehigh River(2.9) miles of club property. There is another club that owns the rest down to the Lehigh River.

There is a USGS gauge right there at the beginning of the property. I always know the information that I need before I get there.

Right now, the days start at the mid-60's(F) but get above 70 degrees. This will continue into the cooling Fall temperatures.

I stop fishing at high temperatures. The club spends a lot of money on these stocked trout. This is not a wild or native fishery. It is a R&G club.

I have been doing this since 1964 when the club was founded. It isn't for everyone, but I know that I am not the best fly fisherman on the board.
'

Back