The Gilligan Swap - my first fly swap on this site

WWKimba

WWKimba

"If not for the courage of the fearless crew the Minnow would be lost, the Minnow would be lost!" - The Ballad of Gilligan's Isle

This swap is for flies that imitate one of the largest of a fish's diet - MINNOWS! Whether bucktail, feathers, synthetics or a combination of these materials can be used to tie these streamer patterns.

Here's the rules for the swap - any fly pattern is welcome that is used to imitate a minnow/immature fish/baitfish. Sign-up is limited to the first 12 registrants and ALL LEVEL tyers are most welcome to join. If you are a new to tying flies and/or this is your first swap please PM me and let me know - I am most happy to address any of your questions/concerns. Also, I do give additional support to newer tyers, so DO let me know. I've been tying for over 50 years and hosting swaps for 11+ years so I'm sure I can help you. I am retired and check the site at least once daily, so you should get a response from me within 24 hours in most cases

Registration will run until 8/7/2022 and flies are due to me by 8/30/2022. As always please include toe tags on your flies that include at least your screen handle and the name of your pattern, your swap box (with your screen handle), and a SASE. Please include the name of your pattern choice when you register (or as soon as possible afterwards). I (the Swapmeister) reserve the right to deny a pattern if at's already been taken by someone else - we all DO NOT want to see 4 different versions of an Adirondack Bucktail!?
If, for any reason, there are less than 6 people registered by 8/7 a decision will be made at that time to extend the registration date or cancel the swap.

Gifts will be sent to all swappers.

As always please keep in touch with me if there are any questions/concerns/unanticipated challenges. And, most importantly, as with all my swaps, please have FUN!

Kim

1-
2-
3-
4-
5-
6-
7-
8-
9-
10-
11-
12-

By the way this is the first swap for me to host on this site. I have been hosting and participating in swaps for the past 11+ years after cutting my teeth on swaps on the old FAOL site so I am far from new at this. Below is an OLD picture of me demonstrating tying flies on a homemade WOODEN vise - there's a back-up vise in the foreground. (NOTE: A good FAOL site buddy, Ed Engelman, was the designer of the vise.) I'm the one with the DIGNIFIED beard. A few months after this picture was taken I cut off the beard and lost over 100 pounds - who knew all that silver in the beard weighed that much! I said that the picture is an old one - the kids in this picture now have kids older than they were in this picture!

DSC 0652

put me down for one dozen of my Hardhead Minnows

Attachments

• 5CAFD82E-86FD-4B4C-AD30-63BBD6F1B34E.jpeg
    5CAFD82E-86FD-4B4C-AD30-63BBD6F1B34E.jpeg
    339 KB · Views: 16
Mickey Finns for me

Attachments

• F18811_main!01.jpg
    F18811_main!01.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 8
Swappers so far:

1-use2wuz -Hardhead Minnow
2-Tigereye-Mickey Finn
3-
4-
5-
6-
7-
8-
9-
10-
11-
12-

Due to a time limit on edits, this is how I'll keep the count up to date.

Kim

I'll tie an Emerald Shiner

Swappers so far:

1-use2wuz -Hardhead Minnow
2-Tigereye-Mickey Finn
3-dc410-Foxie Clouser
4-laszlo-Emerald Shiner
5-
6-
7-
8-
9-
10-
11-
12-

Kim

Need at least 2 other tyers to hold this swap. Anyone interested??

Here are a couple pictures from a recent swap I hosted on another site. It should give you an idea of what to expect when you participate in one of my swaps.

Fly Swap Pacture 1

Basic Swap Picture

These are the flies that were sent in for my 2525 Swap (think Zager and Evans, 1969 or just YouTube the video). All flies had to contain ONLY synthetic material (metal was OK too). You can see the different styles of toe tags, the free fly tying gift (the poly cord in the bottom of the top picture), and the pattern directions for the patterns that I included - 3 of the 4 I tied for this swap (I can NEVER make up my mind, so I do what I do at a buffet - I get both!) were patterns of my own design. Lastly, directions on how to easily turn the poly cord into 16 feet of poly fly tying yarn.

Hope this helps answer a few questions you might have had.

Kim

BTW, the Rackelhannen was NOT my design but is a mighty fine caddis dry pattern!

Only 10 more days to register and we still need AT LEAST 2 more swappers to hold this swap! Let's see if we can make this mark. If you have any questions/concerns please feel free to PM me and I'll be happy to help out.

Kim

Lil' Brown Trout Streamer

The registration window closes on the 7th and we STILL need 2 more tyers to hold this fly swap. I know that many are on the water (or off the trout waters because of the heat!). If you sign-up, you'll only need to tie 6 flies!! AGAIN, ONLY SIX FLIES WOULD NEED TO BE TIED IF we can get 2 more tyers. I hope you'll consider this swap and remember; I do give fly tying gifts to all participants.

I'll get up and wipe off my knees now. And thanks for considering this swap.

Kim

I was going to tie two (shiner and brown trout) so we could get to six, if that was legal, I'll drop back to the shiner if we get six tiers

If you can get one more, I'll be the 6th.
Glad to see a familiar face from a couple of my other sites! Glad to have you in your first swap with me. I'd still like to see at least one other tyer. One more day/one more tyer to go. I'll alert all of you on this thread as well a PM on the 8th to let you all know where we stand.

Kim

I was going to tie two (shiner and brown trout) so we could get to six, if that was legal, I'll drop back to the shiner if we get six tiers
Thanks for the offer and feel free to keep the option open. And Thank You for your support!!

Kim

Back