Temporary Substitute For Head Cement

MD_Gene

MD_Gene

I was at 2 fly shops on Friday and forgot to get head cement. Another senior moment. :( Does anyone use a substitute that might be already in the house or available at a local drug store?

Sally Hansen Hard as Nails.

Tons of discussion here and practically every other fly fishing forum on this as it is generally preferred to what you’d buy at fly shops, and at a higher cost.

I was at 2 fly shops on Friday and forgot to get head cement. Another senior moment. :( Does anyone use a substitute that might be already in the house or available at a local drug store?
Sally Hansen hard as nails nail polish If you need a pretty looking head. Liquid super glue if you just want it it be secure and move right along with your tying.

Really any nail polish works great. I have a bottle of black that I use on little bucktail streamers. The dollar store stuff is fine.

What’s head cement? Kidding of course. I haven’t bought fly tying head cement since the 80’s. Sally Hansen hard as nails (SHHAN) for me when I’m tying larger flies. When I need a substitute for SHHAN I use super glue or nothing, mostly nothing. When I’m tying little trout flies I use nothing.

Any lacquer, varnish or polyurethane will suffice if you don't want to drive to a drug store to buy nail polish. ;)

Wax your thread before you whip finish.

swipe the thread with crazy glue and wrap the head. all done

head-cement.jpg

I use fly tyers z ment. I put some on the thread an then whip finish.

Honestly I stopped using head cement years ago other than on streamers. Hate the smell and bother. Any nail polish will work.

I whip finish twice and rarely use anything else to secure my wraps.

Reactions: CRB
Sally Hansen for me too. It's all I've used for over 30 years. I put a schmear of Sally's on the thread before I whip finish. If it's a streamer, I'll hit it again with Sally's on a bodkin to make sure that the head is tight.
I do use Dollar Store nail polish for painting beads or for wing cases of different colors.

Back