South Jersey TU

I'm curious as to who's the Charter member? I've been a member of the RNSJTU Chapter since 1988. Yes, it was sad to see the Chapter go since they had done many good things through the years. The new leadership found it difficult to conform to TU State and National's expectations. Bottom line is they were fined from TU. Then came the old classic, "You can't fire me, I quit!". The Chapter had between 350 to 400 members in the South Jersey area and two people brought it down.

I was one of the founding members, when we organized the Marlton library sometime in the early 80's. The organizer was a guy name Steve?? (I think) who was a school teacher and drove for UPS during the summer.

Soon after, we started meeting in a school in Deptford, I was treasurer in '84 and '85 before I moved out of state. I don't know when they started meeting at the Square Circle (where, incidentally, I caught my first trout in 1964.)

You have no idea how sad it makes me to lose this chapter. Hopefully, someone will re-charter.

I believe you are referring to Steve Michaelchuck. You skipped over the year of meetings at the Fish and Fur on Rt 168 in Blackwood. The Chapter grew into quite a nice group of people. I meet some greats in fly fishing through the group and learned so much about fly fishing and tying.
Right now I doubt we will get back any of the records from the early days. I passed on boxes of records from 1982 on to the existing leadership. No idea where they are now. The new leadership had no idea of the Chapter's history. So they saw little value in preserving it.

Great guy to fish with. He's still around and fishing.

Back