[SOLVED] Lost Simms Wading Staff - Penns Creek - 4/20

Luke

Luke

So I am pretty embarrassed about my stupidity, but I lost my brand new Simms wading staff on Friday, 4/20 on Penns Creek in the area just above the project water; directly through the tunnel down by the cabin.

My son joined me for our spring camping and fishing trip this year and with the high water I wanted him to have a good wading staff, so I gave him my old Simms. My newly purchased Simms staff has different connections to secure it and I did not have the correct "zinger". Well, I somehow forgot that two weeks later and waded out into the creek to help my son with his tackle.

So I let my new staff dangle, like always, only when I went to grab it for my wade back to the bank, it wasn't dangling! :cry:

Did anybody find a wading staff on Penns recently?

Ouch! I just looked at one and they list for about $165.00. Sorry to here about your loss. Last year down closer to Weikert I lost a lovely Brodin "Gallatin" net with the Ghost bag. I was sick.

Sorry about that.

I am heading to Penns Creek next week and I will keep my eye out for it.

Water flow should be down quite a bit and perhaps it will show itself.

Is it safe to assume that you were in the broad waters area ?

I was in what some people call the "Tunnel Hole". This is the hole immediately above the wire which designates the start of the project water (ALO Catch and Release). You go over the railroad trestle, through the tunnel, and make and immediate right down to the creek. The hole is in front of a cabin.

Thanks!

That is a nice whole. I admit I have never caught a trout out of that hole and barely seen a rise. I think everyone has a spot like that!

I know it isn’t any any consolation to you, but I lost my Payne bamboo rod, and Hardy reel, in the parking area right before the trestle one night after fishing there. We drove all the way back to State College before I remembered I left the rod on top of the car. I went back the next morning to look for it, but never found it. I don’t think it’ll show up now though since that was 50 years ago.

By the way, if you ever come to Montana, I’ll take you fishing in my drift boat and you won’t need a wading staff.

John

I never considered using a wading staff and, as a result, I never paid any attention to them. As I read this thread, however, and saw the price quote I thought about possible alternatives. Since I am a hiker, one alternative for occasional use would be an old ski pole, but for a purchase and more frequent use, I would recommend looking into "trekking poles," a fancy name for walking sticks. I don't use them either, as I think they would be a nuisance, but anglers can buy multiple pairs for the price quoted above.

JeffP wrote:
That is a nice whole. I admit I have never caught a trout out of that hole and barely seen a rise. I think everyone has a spot like that!

I can assure you that there are plenty of fish in that run and above!

;-)

mt_flyfisher wrote:
I know it isn’t any any consolation to you, but I lost my Payne bamboo rod, and Hardy reel, in the parking area right before the trestle one night after fishing there. We drove all the way back to State College before I remembered I left the rod on top of the car. I went back the next morning to look for it, but never found it. I don’t think it’ll show up now though since that was 50 years ago.

By the way, if you ever come to Montana, I’ll take you fishing in my drift boat and you won’t need a wading staff.

John

Thanks John! I can't wait to get out there someday and take you up on that offer. The family had a good trip this year with some excellent Grannom action.

Mike wrote:
I never considered using a wading staff and, as a result, I never paid any attention to them. As I read this thread, however, and saw the price quote I thought about possible alternatives. Since I am a hiker, one alternative for occasional use would be an old ski pole...

I use a an old home made wading staff made from a wooden dowel. It doubles as my hiking stick as well. I've added some mods that allow it to double as a landing net handle extension as well as a camera extension.

I can't imagine spending big bucks on a wading staff as I'm too tough on equipment and beat my wading sticks until they break (usually when they get jammed in between jetty boulders) and then I just build another one.

In any event, hopefully this one turns up. Folks here on PAFF do find and return equipment on a fairly frequent basis.

Mike wrote:
I never considered using a wading staff and, as a result, I never paid any attention to them. As I read this thread, however, and saw the price quote I thought about possible alternatives. Since I am a hiker, one alternative for occasional use would be an old ski pole, but for a purchase and more frequent use, I would recommend looking into "trekking poles," a fancy name for walking sticks. I don't use them either, as I think they would be a nuisance, but anglers can buy multiple pairs for the price quoted above.

I would not personally fish Penns Creek without one; particularly when it was running 1,200 cfs on the first day we fished. My Simms staff was $100 and it is the only brand of staff I will buy after having cheaper ones that either break or separate into the folding pieces just at the critical time when you need it and the tip got wedged between two rocks! The ability to fold up and be put away when not in use is what drives the cost versus a walking stick.

Mike wrote:

I really hate to carry a wading staff, but I do now on occasion in tough wading areas (getting older). The going rate for name-brand wading staffs is about $100. Pretty steep.

The one I choose is a Black Diamond Z-pole which is really a trekking pole (walking stick) converted to a wading staff. Black Diamond is known for making quality trekking and ski poles. The wading version has a neoprene holster to wear on your wading belt with a heavy-duty zinger attached to the holster and pole.

It folds up rather easily and is stored in the holster out of your way, and deploys quickly when needed. One of the best features is the pole locks together when extended. Many staffs just push together and tend to come apart when pulled from mud or when stuck in the rocks.

Also it is easily adjustable for length which is handy if you are short, tall, need a staff for the can be used by multiple people, or wish to shorten and lean on the staff when wading.

And finally, it weighs less than a pound and comes with interchangeable tips (rubber and carbide tips).

Attachments

• Black Diamond Z-Pole.jpg
    Black Diamond Z-Pole.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 3
That's interesting fellows. Thanks for the quick education.

Mike wrote:
I would recommend looking into "trekking poles," a fancy name for walking sticks. I don't use them either, as I think they would be a nuisance, but anglers can buy multiple pairs for the price quoted above.

I am a hardcore backpacker and I certainly would not consider trekking poles a nuisance, in fact, I consider them a necessity. I will often cover 100 miles in 3 nights/4 days and I wouldn't want to hike without them. Their benefits are so many that it would be a long list. For one, they certainly help uphill, down hill, rugged terrain, take pressure off of knees, allow me to prop my hammock tarp so I can relax and see out, fend off animals, aid in stream crossings when you rock hop, help to catapault you across a small stream, they keep you overall warmer in winter incorporating more of your body into the action yet somehow seem to conserve energy, and they have saved me a few spills when I'm down right exhausted and make a misstep. Also the price of trekking poles can easily exceed $150. I've owned and used several styles in my life. My best backpacking partner uses cheap Wal-Mart trekking poles. Guess what? I'd say that they are basically every bit as good as my L.L. Bean hikelites that cost 4 times as much.

I think a collapsible cheap Wal-Mart trekking poles would make a fine wading staff.

If I were to design a wading staff, it would be regal and useful. First you need it to be strong and stay stiff whether you are pushing or pulling. But, it would be lightweight. It should not have to drag in the water, but fold-able or retractable must be stable when extended.

I'd pay $165 for something that had these qualities, or maybe I'd just grab a stick that did the same thing.

Luke,

Instead of replacing it with another Simms, get a Pro-line staff for 30 bucks instead. I hve had mine for years now and havent had any issues with it.

A lot of interesting viewpoints about the utility (and even philosophy, I guess..) of wading staffs.

I have the $100 Simms staff, but I've never liked it. The bulk, the neoprene banana case and the act of congress manipulations necessary to make it operative. But more importantly, after a while, I noticed something. I didn't need it. It was overkill, like buying a howitzer for mosquito control. Because what little remains of my common sense tells me I don't have any business being out in a flow where a tool like the Simms staff is the better part of prudence. So, now I use a simple $29.95 collapsible hiking pole from Dick's. We both know our limitations and have an understanding that we will not lead each other into more temptation than is good for us.

I just grab a sturdy stick from the stream bank if I find I need a wading staff. I don't use a staff that often though.

When you're in your mid 60's you might change your mind. I did. I used mine yesterday on a small but ripping brookie stream. A third leg always helps.

It's probably jammed up in the beavers dams down below lol

Back