Smallmouth on the Yough?

J

jmflyfisher

I have the chance to fish the Yough this weekend and was looking for a little help. I have fished at Confluence before for trout, but wanted to try to catch some smallmouth bass instead and give the trout a break. I plan to wade fish, and throw some streamers and hopefully some popping bugs.

I understand keeping it general, but can anyone recommend and area that would be good to wade fish? Just some general ideas and I can explore more on my own. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
JM

If I were searching for wading areas with decent SMB and other ww fish populations, I would focus on the stretch from Connelsvillle to at least a couple of miles below Smithton.

My in-laws are from Connellsville and I have fished the lower Yough for smallies by wading with a fly rod for years. There are some really nice fish but they are spread out and you have to work hard for them. Wading is best if the USGS scale is below 3.0 ft in Connellsville (prefer ~2.5 ft).

If you are into a bit rougher walking/wading, I'd suggest the area below South Connellsville Dam. Access is a little tricky - just beside the last manufacturing plant on 1st avenue in South Connellsville there is a gated, gravel road. Typically the gate is open and you can drive on it down to the railroad tracks where there is parking. Walk across the tracks and down to the dam. You can wade downstream all the way into Connellsville. It is tough wading, like the rest of the Yough, but doable if water conditions are low. Good mix of riffles and pools.

There is also access right in Connellsville as well with a local park off of Rt. 119. You can follow the bike trail downstream and access the river at various points.

Other areas further downstream with much easier access than South Connellsville where I've had success include River Road just outside of Smithton (several miles where you can selectively park and wade) and also around the Cedar Creek Park area. I don't typically fish downstream of Hazelbacker's (canoe livery) so I don't know that stretch of the river as well.

Be careful and best of luck.

Mike and Bilchar, thanks for the info! Much appreciated!

Back