Slab Cabin Run; Rauchtown Run

If anyone doesn't mind saying, what section from the centredaily.com article is that picture of Spring Creek? That looks like a nicer, more remote section that I can't place, and I've fished a number of areas in Spring Creek...maybe it's the angle of the picture throwing me off...Benner Springs area???

It's probably somewhere between Benner's Spring and Fisherman's Paradise.

DanL wrote:
If anyone doesn't mind saying, what section from the centredaily.com article is that picture of Spring Creek? That looks like a nicer, more remote section that I can't place, and I've fished a number of areas in Spring Creek...maybe it's the angle of the picture throwing me off...Benner Springs area???

I think it is just a few yards upstream from the Shiloh Road parking lot. Can't say for certain - I always fish that stretch from the right side and can't say I've ever stood on the left bank at that angle.

You will have to help me understand something. While it is great that most of the water removed from the Spring Creek Watershed (10%) eventually makes it back into the watershed via recycling, treatments, etc.- how does this help the upper sections of Spring Creek and Slab Cabin Run if the water is taken out there and then replaced miles downstream? I think the article really misses the bigger picture. A dry stream bed is a dry stream bed, right?

Exactly my thoughts Wild Trouter.

I always viewed Slab Cabin's trout population as basically an extension of upper spring creek, maybe slightly lower density. The size structure of fish I'd say is or was even better, though I never caught any truly huge fish there (best was 17" - caught 3 fish that size). That's a very high quality wild trout fishery and needs better protection, not to mention middle and upper Spring. There needs to be more recycling and infiltration upstream where it can help those 3 stream sections. I don't know exactly what plans, if any, are being worked on to accomplish this.

Wild trouter- agreed. Furthermore, water is removed cold and returned to the stream at room temperature.
CDT did a fluff piece for the UJWA with the idea (something like this) "When water regulations are bad for a stream". It was about the proposed HQCWF designation of SCR, which would prevent new or increased discharges into the watershed. UJWA was arguing that they return the water in better condition in regards to certain elements. Completely ignored temperature pollution and the effects of removing water upstream and discharging it downstream in a warmer form

http://www.centredaily.com/news/local/community/state-college/article42831387.html

I know this is an old post but I walked slab cabin for the last 2 years daily from the park up to the farm as I live on the stream. when the drought came and the stream was dry upstream of CVS on Atherton downstream especially downstream of the farm. it never dried up. the farm has 4 springs that feed it and when temperatures rose I would see the browns schooling where the springs feed into the stream. I will say that before the drought the stream was the healthiest I've ever seen it, however I've only been around 8 years or so. I fish it infrequently however I do walk it almost weekly now and it has come back but nowhere near where it was a year ago.

There is a section of Rauchtown Creek that sinks below the State Park.

FYI a friend confirmed that a handful of brookies survived in Roaring Run. Mostly below the small reservoir. I would encourage people to leave it alone this year though. Still in a fragile state and we don't know what this summer will bring.

I fished Slab Cabin from the park downstream a few weeks ago and did alright - definitely not like I remembered, but certainly enough fish to rebound if we get a string of wet years like we did before last year's drought.

Back