SB Leader Formula

goose54cdd

goose54cdd

Is there a smallmouth bass leader formula that can be used for top water and dredging? I would appreciate some ideas.
Thanks

If I am using baitfish style streamers for smallmouth or any other species, I often experience line twist. To help with twist, I tie a small swivel into my leader. If using a floating line, I will go with a section of 20-25lb. line (3-4'), I often use Maxima, but fluoro or anything you have will work. Tie a loop knot in one end to attach to your fly line, tie the other end to the small swivel. I like this section to be stiff so it helps turn over weighted, bulky or water soaked flies. Stay away from supple, softer line.

Below the swivel, I typically use 12-15lb. fluorocarbon (apprx. 3'). I attach my fly to the fluoro with a loop knot. You may need to adjust this formula depending on the weight/action of your fly rod or the weight/size of the flies.

I skip the swivel if throwing poppers or foam flies and will use just mono so it floats better.

I am sure others might have a different style leader that works just as well. I hope this helped a little.

I’m not sure what the problem is that you’re referring to. Typically I just use a 60/20/20 of whatever mono I have. (floating fly line) Right now that’s 5 feet of 25 lb. 2 feet of 15 lb. and 2-3 feet of either 8 lb. or 12 lb. I’m also math-challenged. The smallies don’t seem to care.

If you're having twist problems that can often be traced back to the fly itself. I had that problem with some recent poppers that I tied. Different style heads than what I had been using. They tended to roll sideways. I added two small legs to the back and it stabilized them.

I use some variation of this for both subsurface and popper fishing for SMBs (maybe a bit longer tippet for poppers).

BUTT: 30lb
BELLY: 20lb
TIPPET: 14lb

Usually for smallmouth, I simply use the butt sections of played out 7 1/2' knotless trout leaders when they get down to the point that the next section I'd have to add would be .013 or so. I simply add a tipper ring to .011 or so and then use 1X or 2X tippet depending on conditions or fly type. This seems to work well enough for my needs.

There are a lot of formulas online though. LeaderCalc at Global Flyfisher gives (usually) multiple formula choices for any leader length or type you might want to try or build.

https://globalflyfisher.com/leadercalc

Goose, Yes and No! Top is a little longer and deep is shorter,

Floating line, sinking line. You need an extra spool, or a reel set up for each.

Yes you can go both ways, with a set up, when the feed is on, they are killing more than eating. "Everything Works".

I have been doing this for a long time. Leaders that is. Reason i do not make Bass leaders, is simple. Very few sales. Very few Bass guys.

If i was to build a Bass Leader it would be:

Top- 36in. 30 lb., 24 in,- 20 lb, 12 in. of 15 lb, and 16 inches of 12 lb

This works ---top----poppers, floaters, big wings and deer bodies, mice, frogs, etc.

Down, maybe 3 ft. of 12 or 15 lb. Fluoro is good, Little longer, no.

Sinking line, yes, full sink, got to get used to it. sink tip- a must.

Actually a long Euro type is good, when fishing the beds.

Back in the late 60's early 70's. Fly rod, leader, fishing live crawfish, live minnows was the best of best. Breaded Bass dinner was perfect, Bass made like Tuna salad on toast a real treat. Clean, white, tasteful. and enjoyed!

Then the times changed, not the sandwich, the fishermen. Desire dropped.

Here is a good one. Lot's of Bass in Little Pine Dam, Kettle Creek Dam, Sinnemahoning Dam, Pine Creek, Lycoming Creek, Loyalsock Creek. Do not and i repeat, do not see any type of fly Bass people there!

I might say, Gaines poppers, has fallen due to this. If you were Pa. Bass, you definately was a Gaines Popper Fanatic. Gaines, another story in the Pa. past. All that area, Gaines, Sabinsville, Ansonia, Watrous, Tiadaughton, Owassee, Galeton and especiallly Smittys Gas Station, Eugenie Fromme, and the late, Gene, from long ago. A really long t.ime ago. I love those people. Jim's , Galeton, Ox yoke, Ice mine, West Pike, Deer Park, Sylvania Diner, Carbon Plant, over the hill to Lymann Lake.

I hope i lost a pennie along the way, find it and you will be rich. Rich in the memory, you were there, Boy, did i ever get off track,

Maxima12

Actually a long Euro type is good, when fishing the beds.

Also a great way to get a fine and the label as an unethical angler.

Back