Sage Bass Rod

Fredrick

Fredrick

Specialty anythings are marketing gimmicks...I used to bass fish with my 3wt just because I never knew if I was gonna catch trout or bass or crappies from the pond...in a float tube.

I don't bass fish enough to drop that kinda dough on a specialized rod. I'm going to get a rod for bass this year, but the amount I pay will be proportional to the seriousness with which I use it... more than 99% of the population, but not as much as many other fly fishermen.

i played with it and thought it was pretty nice - small mouth model but I would up getting an older 8.5' hardy fiberglass blank (progessive taper 6-8 wt) that I'm going to cut down to 7'11" that'll make it lean more towards a 6 wt with a staggered spigot ferrule. it'll be a heavier rod but will use it for big flies and the slower action of the glass is more appealing to me. plus, it'll make it more adaptible to catching carp. The sage is a fast action which imo helps accuracy but i saved $200 bucks with the amount invested in the blank and components compared to the sage. I will, however, be getting the sage bass line cause i think the taper makes more of the difference. I also plan to get a lamiglass 8' 5WT to build which i'll probably wind up using more because unfornately i wind up catching more panfish than bass anymore....man i miss the old days of fishing the perkiomen.
As far as length, it takes some getting used to and overhead casting is not as effective as keeping the rod paths at or below the shoulder. if you get it, let us know what you think...

thightlines,

skiltonian

Just another gimmick. Got me a nice $19 7wt last year that handles the poppers and sliders just fine. No need to "upgrade" when what you have works!

JH

I saw their ad but haven't actually seen one of the rods. What gets me is that their ad talks as though they designed it for the Pro Bass tour, especially the part about it being a certain length to comply with tournament rules. I fished the Pro Bass tours for over twenty years, both BASS and FLW and although both circuits had an 8 ft. length limit on rods, neither tour allowed fly rods of any kind. Am I missing something here? Just might have to get back in the game if there's some new fly fishing circuit out there. :-x

The sage bass rod comes with line the equivalant of a ten weight. That is why they give you the grain not the weight. The rod is shorter so it could legally be used by BassMasters. The reason for the heavier weight is so they can pull big bass out of thick cover. Sage is a bit misleading with this rod.

Well I bought the new sage largemouth rod and I tried it out on a local lake yesterday for the first time . And all I have to say is that its worth every penny I could easly cast a small chicken with this rod with no problem . It doesn't feel any heavier than a 7wt and just being able to cast big bass flies all day with little effort makes my fishing expierence more pleasurable. I give this rod two thumbs up :-D

Fredrick wrote:
I could easly cast a small chicken with this rod with no problem. . ..

Sounds like a plan for musky, not largemouth. Course doesn't surprise me to see you resort to meat chucking, even if it is of the poultry variety. :cool:

Fred,

I fully plan on trying that thing out if we make it to a bass pond any time soon. You better let me.

Jack all I have to say is two ice cubes

Jay no problem

Fredrick wrote:
Jack all I have to say is two ice cubes

Jay no problem

To be clear Fred....It was FOUR ice cubes!

Carry on...

Oh thanks Mo I forgot it was 4 cubes not 2 .

It sucks that I didn't get a chance to fish with ya Mo. I'm curious though. Where did you find your phone at again ?????

Reports indicate that Mo's phone was found in the vicinity of a steaming pile, somewhere along Spring Creek... 'Nuff said.

beeber

Back