Road Trip thru PA

S

SALindquist

I will be taking multiple driving trips thru the Great State of Pennsylvania this summer. I would like to fully experience classic PA Fly Fishing locations along the way. Are there any suggestions of places or suggestions of books, articles etc that I can glean wisdom from?
TIA

Dwight Landis’ Trout Streams of Pennsylvania. Troutburt might disagree 😜

Another very good book about PA fly fishing is "Keystone Fly Fishing" it states that it is The ultimate guide to Pennsylvania's Best Water. It is published by Headwater Books http://headwaterbooks.com/

Thank you for the recommendation…just ordered it!

Not sure how you have your trip planned, but if it was me, I'd stick to the upper tier of the state with considerable focus on Centre County and the PA wilds further north. Then you should duck down to Cumberland County to hit the famous streams in that area; then I'd suggest heading east to Berks/Lehigh Co., then moving north up through the Poconos to the upper Delaware.

Don't overlook smallmouth bass fishing. The bigger rivers fish very well in summertime and include the West Branch of the Susquehanna, then down the main stem of the Susky; the Juniata at mid-state, then maybe the lower Delaware River.

The recommendations are good ones. The author of one is a poster here.

What time of summer? We talkin June or August? And what parts of the state will your travels take you? We can very likely help further, as far as what times to be where. Mid-summer can be tricky. Many of the more famous waters that are stocked get too warm for trout fishing. The wild trout streams will have fish but can shut off at times. Certain streams are best approached in mornings or evenings, while others are ok during the day. Weather and stream levels play a part too, of course. But we have a TON of water overall and there's nearly always a good option.

Can only speak for a little bit of the territory, but Lehigh Valley limestoners have had good trico fishing in the summer and can extend your fishing past the spinner fall by trying sunk spinners and terrestrials. Afternoons and evenings may be best at a local brew pub, although hitting the riffles with scuds and midges may produce something. Cloudy days can be OK since midges can come off and the trout may not be hiding from the midday sun. Must like tiny flies.

Pohopco tailwater stays cold.

The best smallie fishing for me in the Delaware has been above Dingman's Falls. Like the canoe rental segment between Matamoras and Milford - not many other boaters and plenty of fish and fish of good size. Lower river hasn't been as good for me past few years - still pretty and will catch some, the the fishing up river has been worthy of a trip.

Back