Ridley FFO Fly Suggestions?

passionfly

passionfly

Have been having a hard time in this section of Ridley lately. Any fly suggestions or thoughts on the FFO section in general?

First though is you need to check the water temp. My guess is it is too warm unless you intend to harvest trout. I lived in Delco for 25 years and used to fish it a lot. It received a tremendous amount of pressure considering how little good holding water it contained.

A much younger me used to fish it early and quit by 9 or 10 am or whenever the crowd rolled in. After a while my attention turned to Chester Creek and some of the open stretches of Ridley which offered much better opportunities IMO. That said my advice: carry a thermometer and check it! Also small bead heads and sunken ants will usually produce.

The only thing that others may not have said is that around 66-67 feeding/activity drops off to almost nothing. So even though a creek might be under 70 degrees, that is sort of the line for not killing them, but the line is in those high 60s for them to shut down.

Yes, Ridley is arguably the warmest of the stocked trout streams in DelCo. In my experience, lower Darby, Section 03, stays surprisingly cool in early summer. No need to fish a fly stretch.

Thanks for the suggestions, will do, and temps are probably why I haven't been catching anything. Cheers

Last edited:
I don't think I ever fished Ridley in the summer. I usually switch over to warm water fishing by the end of May. Besides the Wissahickon is a lot closer to me than Ridley. Plus I didn't fish a lot of the FFO stretch. Usually the area from just above the bridge to the second parking area. I always did well fishing midges and caddis drys and small PT nymphs on a dropper under the caddis dry(CDC&Elk). If I were to fish this time of year I'd concentrate on the riffles.

Back