Real Truth of this Fly Please

Airborne

Airborne

Hey guys like most of us i have a large Box of these ,i love them,they are productive,easy to tie fun, and multiple variations.
Alright here goes, some call it this or that some call a variation of it another name. While learning about this Fly i do know its a Pennsylvania Fly , i heard the story about a guy that made them up in small shop, sold out, and they took off then everyone was claiming to be the origin ...WALTS WORM , i fill boxes of these every winter , multiple colors, i even do the “Walts sexy “ hot spots and all , lol they catch trout
recently got into discussion about this and a guy was saying they originated from a sawyer, ...simple tied with jammeson tan thread ,on a nymph straight hook ..... lol....so maybe a local Pennsylvania fly tier can elaborate or massage this chat alittle. ,
thank you
David

I believe that Frank Sawyer created the Killer Bug, it has become very popluar in the Tenkara groups. I tie them as well as the Walt's Worm. Both are deadly.

The sawyer bug is a popular fly out west , whereas it seems the walts is more an east coast fly, was the original walts tied on a jig hook ? I have honestly had no luck with sawyers or “ killer bugs , ordered original yarn from Scotland “ jamesons yarn....but no luck ,
David

The sawyer bug is a popular fly out west , whereas it seems the walts is more an east coast fly, was the original walts tied on a jig hook ? I have honestly had no luck with sawyers or “ killer bugs , ordered original yarn from Scotland “ jamesons yarn....but no luck ,
David
Killer Bug can save the day on any creek! Ya just gotta believe - the original yarn as Sawyer stated was Chadwick’s 477 - nearly impossible to find - and very expensive if you so. The Jamison’s Spindrift “Oyster” color is a fair substitute but the best modern version is the Semperfli Chadwick’s substitute. As a disciple of Frank, I recommend it as being the most faithful reproduction. It changes color when wet - not too hard to find if you google it!

Attachments

• 7FA76C87-48ED-43B5-A82F-D74125010FE1.jpeg
    7FA76C87-48ED-43B5-A82F-D74125010FE1.jpeg
    126.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 1867D1ED-A9FD-44D1-898D-AD0FACB6C81F.jpeg
    1867D1ED-A9FD-44D1-898D-AD0FACB6C81F.jpeg
    95.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 1C3FBEB3-1137-4068-9AF6-CE63C234B7C1.jpeg
    1C3FBEB3-1137-4068-9AF6-CE63C234B7C1.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 25
  • CF51D38C-8B29-4885-AB22-301283D32322.jpeg
    CF51D38C-8B29-4885-AB22-301283D32322.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 19
David
Killer Bug can save the day on any creek! Ya just gotta believe - the original yarn as Sawyer stated was Chadwick’s 477 - nearly impossible to find - and very expensive if you so. The Jamison’s Spindrift “Oyster” color is a fair substitute but the best modern version is the Semperfli Chadwick’s substitute. As a disciple of Frank, I recommend it as being the most faithful reproduction. It changes color when wet - not too hard to find if you google it!

Attachments

• 1065D460-A71D-4513-9DC1-DFCCFF6F5698.jpeg
    1065D460-A71D-4513-9DC1-DFCCFF6F5698.jpeg
    76.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 06DBF504-A8D2-4490-989B-9397572CD365.jpeg
    06DBF504-A8D2-4490-989B-9397572CD365.jpeg
    146.5 KB · Views: 12
David
Sorry about the double photos - and the streamer that somehow managed to appear 🤣

Lots of variations of this excellent fly. I believe what makes it and others of this type work, is the spectrum of colors within one color, if that makes sense.

I believe Humphreys experimented with blending colors on his nymphs. Leisenring and Hidy were also onto this by sparsely dubbing natural furs ( its all they had in those days) over colored thread to obtain a similar effect. Caucci and Nastasi mention blending in the making of their comparadun flies. Later Kaufman marketed a bunch of dubbing colors within one color. They may still be available. Currently rainbow sowbug/scud dubbing in light and dark make fair substitutes for Chadwick's .

All this does not take any thing away from Walt Young. He doesn't get the recognition he deserves.

It changes color when wet ...
In part because of the red (ish) wire underneath.

The Killer Bug is an English fly, designed to catch greyling. Although it certainly works well on trout, it is not in any way related to Walt's Worm, an American fly designed to catch trout.

Back