Questions About PA Fly Fishing Special Regulation Waters in March

I wouldn’t be closer than 25 ft to the downstream side of a bridge designated as the lower limit of a STW. See below info taken from the Summary Booklet.

These waters are closed to all fishing (includ- ing taking of minnows) from February 20 to 8 a.m. on the opening day of the trout season. A person shall be deemed to be fishing if he or she has in possession any fishing line, rod, or other device that can be used for fishing while on or in any water or on the banks within 25 feet of any water where fishing is prohibited. Unless geographically designated in the Re- gion Regulated Trout Waters section, the term stocked trout waters includes the entire stream from headwaters to mouth.

Thanks for the 25-foot heads up!!

Last edited:
...And even with what seems like a reasonable read of the regulations, you're still at the whim of a WCO or deputy in terms of how they might try to enforce them. You'd likely win in front of a district magistrate but again, not worth it, in my book, when there are other less visible places to fish.

I am relative sure the WCO's know all about section versus entire streams being closed to fishing versus harvest as defined "Stocked Trout Waters" sections have been in place for a couple of years.

However there is nothing wrong with taking a preemptive approach like I've done in the past by calling the Regional Law Enforcement Office that covers the area where you want to fish and asking before embarking to the stream in question.

I am relative sure the WCO's know all about section versus entire streams being closed to fishing versus harvest as defined "Stocked Trout Waters" sections have been in place for a couple of years.

However there is nothing wrong with taking a preemptive approach like I've done in the past by calling the Regional Law Enforcement Office that covers the area where you want to fish and asking before embarking to the stream in question.
Great point Bamboozle,
The only print licensed fishers get is the summary - and that is only if we look for it online or ask for it when we buy the license. If one gets pinched, I can guarantee, WCO will have the Fat Book of Regulations open in front of him/her to prove why you're fined and that the amount is correct.

IMO, the best way to get clear regulations is to email and call fish and boat everytime something doesn't make sense. Make it more time consuming for them to write cryptic rules. Imagine how much less productive fish and boat would be if they had to take 50 calls a day asking "Can I fish this section of this creek" everyday.

All of this would go away if they would just do away with the whole "opening day" nonsense.

No disrespect intended but it really isn't cryptic or difficult to understand, it's all there to read and comprehend in the Summary. It NOT the PFBC's fault people DON'T READ ANYTHING and then go to the Internet for their answers.

People should READ the Summary every year and second, READ the posted signage...

I've said before and I'll say it again, IMHO there should be a written test on regulations that you have to pass before you get a fishing license like they do in other countries. If for no other reason so folks, (including the PFBC haters) don't waste the time of others, especially the folks at PFBC Law Enforcement who already have more to do than they can handle...

Instead folks, buy their license on-line, don't get a hard copy or download a copy of the Summary and go on supposition, rumor and legend...

In the meantime tune in next year for the same questions...

Same Fish Time...

Same Fish Channel...

I personally think it was much more cryptic and difficult to understand before. With all the "all areas downstream", and no mention of other non STW areas, and you can fish, but not FOR trout, and if you accidently catch a trout you must return it unharmed to the water, but what constitutes harm, if it takes a hook deep, is puncturing it's lip harm?

Now it's pretty straightforward. These stream sections are labeled STW. Each has an upper and lower limit. Within those limits it's closed to all fishing till opening day. Everywhere else, you may fish, C&R only.

I’m relatively new to the state and have been exploring options for early season fishing. I find the summary very exact with boundaries and everywhere I’ve visited it’s been clearly marked with white signs mounted on streambank trees whether FFO, Trophy Trout, Keystone Select, Delayed Harvest etc. with most stating right on the sign “open to fishing year round“ or “no closed season”. I’ve been doing some Inet research prior to my trip and using the Waze app for taking me to specific rd crossing or bridge top or bottom boundaries. Also seeing the DNR group out there as well.

Back