Question Regarding Hatches Mid April in North Central PA

WeekendNacho

WeekendNacho

Hey all,

I'll be taking a trip up to the PA wilds in mid April. We'll be looking to hit up sections of Slate Run, Hammersley Fork, Cross Fork, and Kettle Creek (likely the section between Hammersley Fork & Cross Fork). I've never fished these areas before, though I've backpacked many miles through them. I've searched hatch charts far and wide, and the general trend for most of these streams around this time is that Blue Quills, Quill Gordons, Stoneflies, Tan Caddis and maybe even Hendricksons could be hatching. Do you find these charts to be generally true for these streams mid April, or are there some other patterns I should be putting in my box?

As always, thanks for any and all help.
Jim

Those dry recommendations check out. I'll be taking all of those patterns up when I hit Penns at the end of April. Also did I mention I don't know Jack s*** about dry fly fishing? Now if you were to ask me what rod I should take to fish these creeks with dries...

Just an FYI fishing small streams in NCPA can be quite hit or miss in mid April. A few years back I was camping at Ole Bull with some friends for a few days. First day was in the 50s and we had great action. Next 2 nights lows were in the low 20s, frozen waders and stream temps dropped 10 degrees into high 30s to low 40s. Fishing was very tough as a result.

You could see Hendricksons on kettle at that time, I would have some quill Gordon's, and smaller black ehc and you should be set dry fly wise. Be prepared to fish slow and deep if you find yourself in a cold snap.

Just an FYI fishing small streams in NCPA can be quite hit or miss in mid April. A few years back I was camping at Ole Bull with some friends for a few days. First day was in the 50s and we had great action. Next 2 nights lows were in the low 20s, frozen waders and stream temps dropped 10 degrees into high 30s to low 40s. Fishing was very tough as a result.

You could see Hendricksons on kettle at that time, I would have some quill Gordon's, and smaller black ehc and you should be set dry fly wise. Be prepared to fish slow and deep if you find yourself in a cold snap.
Thanks for the recommendations and the heads-up. Fingers crossed we get weather like we've been having recently come April...

Did you's fish much near Ole Bull, or move to a different section/stream? Like with most things, I've read that people either really hate or really like that section.

There are great opportunities for stocked trout right around Ole Bull, some wild fish mixed in. There is some really nice water between there down to Hammersley.

The smaller streams you have listed are all worthwhile to explore, but if cold low and clear fishing will be tough. Pretty much any trib in that area will have wild trout. If the small streams are tough, plenty of stocked fish in Kettle to get on.

There are great opportunities for stocked trout right around Ole Bull, some wild fish mixed in. There is some really nice water between there down to Hammersley.

The smaller streams you have listed are all worthwhile to explore, but if cold low and clear fishing will be tough. Pretty much any trib in that area will have wild trout. If the small streams are tough, plenty of stocked fish in Kettle to get on.
Solid advice, thanks again.

If you can change your plans I would wait a month to come up here. Especially if fishing the smaller streams. Small streams really don't kick in until May.
Thank you for the insight, luckily I think most of us going should have availability in May. If we don't switch to May entirely we just might have to take an April and a May trip. :)

Another hatch that I didn't see mentioned - #14 Apple Caddis.
It's usually on around same time as Hendrickson

Back