Popper/dropper setup for smallies

wgmiller

wgmiller

Active member
Joined
Aug 24, 2008
Messages
2,603
Has anyone ever used this technique? It's certainly intriguing and I can see where a popper/dropper combo would bring fish up to the surface from below.


 
afishinado

afishinado

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Sep 11, 2006
Messages
15,256
Location
Chester County, PA
wgmiller wrote:
Has anyone ever used this technique? It's certainly intriguing and I can see where a popper/dropper combo would bring fish up to the surface from below.

I works great for smallies.

I use it all the time with buggers, streamers and even big nymphs on the point.
 
wgmiller

wgmiller

Active member
Joined
Aug 24, 2008
Messages
2,603
afishinado wrote:
I works great for smallies.

I use it all the time with buggers, streamers and even big nymphs on the point.

Do you usually get them on the pause or the strip?
 
afishinado

afishinado

Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Sep 11, 2006
Messages
15,256
Location
Chester County, PA
wgmiller wrote:
afishinado wrote:
I works great for smallies.

I use it all the time with buggers, streamers and even big nymphs on the point.

Do you usually get them on the pause or the strip?

I try all ways from dead-drift, swing, strip slowly, strip aggressively, etc.

Also, sometimes a slider works better than a popper like when the water is low and clear and a popper may spook fish.

Try all techniques and fly combinations and let the fish tell you which one works at that day and time.
 
nymphingmaniac

nymphingmaniac

Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2010
Messages
850
use it routinely with success. i drop a lightly weighted bugger or clouser crayfish off it
 
Gorosaurus

Gorosaurus

Member
Joined
May 6, 2011
Messages
376
This is cool! I always fish a dropper when trout fishing, but for some reason I didn't think it would work with poppers. This makes a lot of sense, though!

It looks like I'll need about three feet of tippet for the dropper.
 
henrydavid

henrydavid

Member
Joined
Mar 24, 2007
Messages
599
I have been wanting to try this during a white fly or sulphur hatch before the rises start.
 
Top