PFBC to Host Informational Meeting on Big Spring Creek Habitat Project

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dave, I love it. Good one!

Last edited by a moderator:
salvelinus
Dave, nice find at HD. If that was marketed for fly fishing it would cost twice as much.

Last edited:
JakesLeakyWaders
It seems that I tend to lose a quarter of a box of flies every time I go out. So fortunately at this rate I've able to keep it down to around 5 or 6 boxes.

Cool thing is I can pinpoint the ones I don't use often by looking for slightly rusted hooks, and force myself to discard them. I am slowly filtering out the patterns I seldom use and when I buy or tie new ones I focus more on my favorite go to patterns.

Narrowing my selection was a goal last year as I bought a small chest pack. I have been able to trim it down to 2 medium boxes for streamers nymphs and big terrestrials, and 2 small boxes for dries.

All of my wooley buggers take up space in the small front fold down pocket of my chest pack in olive, brown, black, and white color choices. The pocket has a built in foam hook holder.

In the summertime to reduce sweat, I wear a Columbia 4 pocket shirt and it easily holds 1 medium box and 2 small boxes, hemos clip to a loop on the shirt and it even has a cigar pocket. The back and sleeves are vented to keep you cool. I am wearing the tan one in my avatar and I also own a camo colored one as well.

It feels so great to ditch the vest, especially in the summer time. I can travel further without feeling uncomfortable. I hope you enjoy your chest pack Dave. I have enjoyed fishing on the lighter side this past season.

P.S. Oh, my favorite piece of storage gear is my G. Loomis mesh hat which permanently holds an orange dragonfly bass nymph which will not come out. I get comments at the bar when I wear the hat. :lol:

Jake

Last edited:
gulfgreyhound
Well done Dave.Looks like a good setup.I found ,a number of years ago, that pvc pipe boxes would hold all sorts of plugs wnd other salt water tackle.Being flat they store easily in my boat and clear lids make finding lures easy.Adjustable storage made space easy to adjust to the plugs etc. Less bulk than the average tackle box and a lot cheaper.

Last edited:
DaveKile
Well I am hoping to go out this weekend if weather and all works out. We will see how it goes. It least it now all looks good on sitting my workbench.

Last edited:
Rolf
Excellent article and idea Dave! I just went out and bought two from Home Depot this afternoon. Now the painful process of "organizing" begins.

Rolf

Last edited:
jreichel
Great read and good idea.

I always wanted the C&F Design Fly Filing System but the cost was very high. So I have been slowly buying it a piece at a time. So far I have 1 Box and 2 inserts. They will probably quit making it before I can get all the parts I want at this rate. :-(

If you have never seen this system it's quite innovative and worth the google.

Last edited:
C
Great idea Dave. Thank you for sharing.

Last edited:
whheff
Dave, I liked your idea so much, I went to every Home Depot in the Allentown area but I could not find the boxes and the people there said they never heard of them. :-(

Do you know of another place to buy them?
Thank,
Bill

Last edited:
DaveKile
The first HD I went to didn't have any containers of any type. The second had the the ones shown in the picture and seemed to fit my needs. They carry the brand name Workforce which is made by Rimax. Here is the website page, just scroll down and you will see some of the trays and holder. http://www.rimax.com/prd_nuevo.php?lang=en&subcat_id=24&cat_id=3

The HD SKU number for the tray was 3085505935. Good luck.

Last edited:
whheff
Dave, thanks for the info.. The guy at HD said if I had the SKU he could check their computer. I will take that info to them tomorrow.

Thanks

Last edited:
wgmiller
I'm just getting into tying and not long (just a few years) into fly fishing and easily saw the value of this system. I visited the HD in Lancaster today and picked up the holder with trays as well as two spare trays. At some point I'll pick up more spare trays because I'm sure at some point the product will disappear and obtaining additional trays will be a challenge.

The aisle I found them in was with the toolboxes. They were next to the Stanley bin systems (yellow in color).

Good find and I agree that if they were marketed as a "fly fishing product", the price would easily be double!

Last edited:
DaveKile
The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission (PFBC) is inviting anglers and the general public to an informational meeting on Tuesday, Oct. 30, at Big Spring High School in Cumberland County to learn more about the agency’s habitat and fisheries management plan for Big Spring Creek.

The meeting will begin at 6 p.m. and end at 7:30 p.m. The meeting is free and plenty of parking is available at the school, located at 45 Mount Rock Road, Newville, PA 17241.

“The purpose of the meeting is to present the agency’s habitat management plan for Big Spring Creek using funds provided by the PA Turnpike Commission as mitigation for environmental impacts associated with one of their planned construction projects in Cumberland County,” said Charlie McGarrell, the PFBC biologist leading the project. “We will describe the overall habitat project and will discuss how it will improve the overall fishery of the creek. After the presentation, the public will have the opportunity to ask questions.”

The Turnpike Commission has provided $586,000 for the habitat project, which will be located downstream of a large habitat project completed in 2010 on the creek. The project is currently in the design phase. Construction of the project is expected to begin by next summer and be completed by fall 2013.

For me details and information please visit the PFBC website.

Thanks to troubert for the notice

F
This meeting has been cancelled due to to the storm; will be rescheduled at a later time.
Dave W

Last edited:
F
This meeting has been cancelled due to to the storm; will be rescheduled at a later time.
Dave W

Last edited:
F
Dave W

Last edited:
F
New meeting time is Monday, Nov 5th.

Last edited:
F

Last edited:
F

Last edited:
Status