PFBC Meeting for October 5-6

Status
Not open for further replies.
minutes2007jan.jpg

The Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission has been pretty quiet over the last year with news releases. Not sure of the of the reason, but like many things I am sure the economy has something to do with it.

Here is a link to the Minutes and Agenda for the upcoming meeting October 5-6. Be sure to keep informed and provide your voice.

The one topic of strong interest to many anglers will be the removal of Delayed Harvest Artificial Lures Only Designation on Fishing Creek. Not sure there is much to say, but it would be nice to hear how to resolve this issues in the future and add back to what we have to give up.

"The Commission implemented Delayed Harvest Artificial Lures Only regulations on Fishing Creek, Section 04, beginning with the 2002 season. The project currently extends approximately 0.7 miles from the upstream Kriebel property line downstream to a point located 180 yards upstream from the Benton Borough line. Most of the riparian area along the project is a farm field that belongs to a single landowner. A new owner purchased this field in the spring of 2009 and posted it against public access. All efforts by staff, a local official and local sportsmen’s groups to change the new owner’s mind have failed." - PFBC

J
Well, I know who has his hands in that property. Donny Beaver.

the_spring_ridge_clubs_pa_map.jpg

Look at the map the his big yellow dot on Columbia County is right where the DH-ALO section is. Hmmmm.... Barry and Cathy Beck live on St. Gabriel's Road just outside of Benton. I know they where mixed into DonnyBeav's SRC. I bet they had something to do with it too! :-x

Last edited:
J

Look at the map the his big yellow dot on Columbia County is right where the DH-ALO section is. Hmmmm.... Barry and Cathy Beck live on St. Gabriel's Road just outside of Benton. I know they where mixed into DonnyBeav's SRC. I bet they had something to do with it too! :-x

Last edited:
J

Last edited:
albatross
My wife helped me make an un-biased chioce of category. So far I'm leading with the only choice of < $2000

Last edited:
gulfgreyhound
The older you get the less you really need.My wife asked me why I had so many rods when I can only use one at a time.She got me a nice Simms vest for Christmas.I'm a lucky guy. :-D

Last edited:
Acristickid
If you spent $40 a week just in gas going fishing you would be over $2000. Let alone the shmuffin and coffee budget.

Last edited by a moderator:
sundrunk
I choose 1000. including gas..

Last edited:
ryguyfi
I chose less than $250. I'm as cheap as they come. I haven't bought a new rod in 2 years. I don't travel too far, and I tie my own flies. I figure license, tying materials, and gas are my only expenses. Every few years I'll probably get a new rod or new waders. It will go down every year. I bet in my first 2 years I have spent $1000 alone on gear and rods. And my tying is probably over $500. However besides my new waders (that I hope don't leak anymore) I only spent some money on new tying materials and gas this year... maybe upwards of $150-$200.

I'm cheap and do whatever I can to save money... car pool, tie flies, pay for gas for other guys to drive in flies, go fishing when I'm in the area for a work appointment (write off the travel lol). etc. That's what you get for being a young married guy with a mortgage. In a few years maybe I can spend some more money.

Ryan

Last edited:
dkile
Gas and fly tying gear add up too. It is the beverage costs that seem to add up the most.

Last edited:
tomgamber
If you spent $40 a week just in gas going fishing you would be over $2000. Let alone the shmuffin and coffee budget.

But most of us don't have all week to fish. That 40 bucks will get you about 320 miles. Either a lot of fishing or a lot of driving.

Last edited:
B
Depends if I need new gear or not, but less than $1000 on average. Now if were talking gas money, I'd bump that number up a good bit

Last edited:
salmo
I wish my addiction to the pursuit of four inch brook trout was deductible. I would get a refund annually.

Salmo

Last edited:
tomgamber
Actually I don't think gas should be included. If I wasn;t spending money on gas to go fishing, I'd be spending it on gas to go wherever else it was I was going...pulling a boat or skiing or golfing or hiking or whatever. So unless you only alternative is a lazyboy, gas is not an exclusive fishing expense.

Last edited:
F
I'm definitely on the low end of the scale building my own rods and tying my own flies with cheap stuff. I do think gas ought to be an expense (but not food) and this plus travel expenses run up my bill. I fish a lot but don't put much money into gear and usually camp or, at the most, stay in bottom rung hotels.

Last edited:
PaulG
After some many years the expense goes down SOME, you pretty much got all the high end stuff, although it's always something, like this year I had to get a new vest. I guess my biggest expense is flies( I don't ty)

Although it never ends, there's always something new or something you need. I never could drive by a flyshop without stopping in...it's worse them drugs!

PaulG

Last edited:
R
I still fish with a used Orvis western series rod i bought 20 yrs ago.
Every two years or so i need a new pair waders. double taper fly lines get reversed so i get more use out of them.....maybe every 3 yrs i get a new one...

fly materials and license are my only expenses.

Long ago i realized my money was better spent on canoes, kayaks, rifles, and trips.

Newer is not better. The prices are outrageous!

Last edited:
ErnieBall
The last couple years, probably $1000. Next year, I see that going down by quite a bit.

Last edited:
S
This last year-
beulah switch rod
TFO switch rod
nautilus reel
Dutch reel
Rio Spey
Rio Outbound
Scientific Anglers sinking line
add in license fees, fly line backing, tying materials, and other gear and its gotta be close to $2000

while I was in college I kept it around 1000 a year. I have a bad habit of buying a new rod/reel every year, though I may have stopped now that I have 11 reels lol...I Do want a Loop Opti though, and a dutch 2, and a hexagraph 5 weight, and a 9 foot 3 weight, and an Alutecnos reel from Italy...I'm hopeless

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back