Panfish

Love this! Our local creeks (around Harrisburg) have been decimated of panfish due to over harvest/human angling pressure and a plethora of natural predators (cormorants, herons, and eagles … not saying they’re bad, just they are here)
And in alot of places I am also curious about these invasive flatheads effect on native red breast sunfish that I love to catch on wets in the susky or lower sections of tributaries. I’m eagerly awaiting Dr. Megan Schall’s pending stomach content polymerase chain reaction/DNA sampling study results(will post on conservation forum when finished) to see what exactly and in what proportions these invasive species are eating.

Word on the street is live lining some of these native panfish is sadly a hugely popular/effective technique for catching this invasive species. Tournament bass fishermen finding small flatheads on surface choking to death on 3lb smallies. Concerns out there from guides I think for the non native smallies, native eels and shad too.

Hit my local lake from 7:45 to nearly dark. super crowded but mostly bank fishermen so was easily able to find room where I've done well before. Caught some small crappie starting on my first cast but soon got bored with that since it's been steady for awhile. As many small crappie as you care to catch but none over 9"

Moved to a spot with a rough muddy bottom where the gills like to bed and was immediately rewarded. Steady bite for about half and hour and almost all the gills and one fat pumpkin seed were over 8". That slowed down and I switched rods and was happy I decided on a two rod approach. Interestingly got some fierce hits on a popper despite the fact that they weren't hitting the jig fly fished deep anymore.

The three bank sitters finally moved out of my usual spot so hit that as the light was going. A couple more crappie on top and of course some on the ant dropper. Switched back to my jig fly and caught small crappie steadily. Landed one 10" speck but everything else was small. Synopsis: a silly number of fish and some on top to boot. Another nice break from reality!

Does anyone have any recommendations for good spots to take kids to look for panfish in southern PA, preferably in York or Adams County?

And in alot of places I am also curious about these invasive flatheads effect on native red breast sunfish that I love to catch on wets in the susky or lower sections of tributaries. I’m eagerly awaiting Dr. Megan Schall’s pending stomach content polymerase chain reaction/DNA sampling study results(will post on conservation forum when finished) to see what exactly and in what proportions these invasive species are eating.

Word on the street is live lining some of these native panfish is sadly a hugely popular/effective technique for catching this invasive species. Tournament bass fishermen finding small flatheads on surface choking to death on 3lb smallies. Concerns out there from guides I think for the non native smallies, native eels and shad too.

View attachment 1641225535
I think we already know some of those answers 🙁

The only legitimate shot I had at a carp this morning was blown up by this little Green Sunfish darting in and stealing the show. These little guys are so aggressive! This one smashed a size 6 carp nymph right in front of a feeding carp. Beautiful colors as well on the Greenies.

1CE8BC29 3B2D 4DD1 A42A 0B5FDF5F5C3D

Now is prime time for panfish on ponds and lakes. For creeks, the game is just getting started and will peak in mid-summer.

This bluegill took a 4 inch senko while I was fishing for smallmouth. Nice 10 incher. I'll flyfish for panfish but if it's windy I like to use a "squirminator" fly that I tie under a trout magnet bobber on 4 lb test, ultralight setup. It's deadly.

Attachments

• bblue.jpg
    bblue.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 4

View attachment 1641225535
Around here on the local river flathead catfish took over 20 plus years ago and have been abundant ever since then. Fortunately in the creeks the panfish are still thriving but it has had an effect on the population in the river. 35 to 40 lb flatheads are relatively common, and some up to 50 have been caught. I used a cut up green sunfish from the creek back in 2015 to get this 22 pounder. I may try again but my main focus is always smallmouth bass and sunnies for fun.

Attachments

• flat1.jpg
    flat1.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 7

Latest posts

Back