PA Maps

afishinado

afishinado

Staff member
The maps and PDF upload for E-maps below look like something very useful for fishing and boating. Is anyone familiar with them?

https://scmaps.com/all-outdoors-atlases/pennsylvania/?fbclid=IwAR37zhNOwJ0Mo0ZENVKIh5J9kT1Z9-wr3Rwdw1nZukZR_RXesxAv3sk6vko

I checked into these when they first came out and had high hopes, but I found that the cartographic design was not very good, so the maps were hard to read.

They were using a dark hill shading which obscured details, and some of the symbolization and type made some bad choices too.

But maybe they've solved those problems since the early days. I haven't seen the recent editions.

I checked into these when they first came out and had high hopes, but I found that the cartographic design was not very good, so the maps were hard to read.

They were using a dark hill shading which obscured details, and some of the symbolization and type made some bad choices too.

But maybe they've solved those problems since the early days. I haven't seen the recent editions.
Sorry to bring up this older thread but do you have any recommendations of other maps/apps that would accomplish what this is trying to do?

DCNR State Forest maps are pretty good, and they are free. I use these more than any other maps.

Purple Lizard has maps of Pine Creek watershed and several of the state forests. These are really superb maps.

Trails Illustrated has the best maps of the National Parks, and also of many National Forests in the west. I don't think they have any PA maps. But if you go to Yellowstone or Shenandoah Park, the TI maps are the ones to buy.

For online maps, I use AcmeMapper the most. They have topo maps, which help a lot.

Google Earth has better aerial imagery than most online mapping sites, but you have to pay for that.

Back