One Honking Big Sunnie

greenghost

greenghost

Pulled from the PFBC website... obviously full of eggs but still the biggest sunfish I have ever seen.

Yeah, that's one dinner plate sunnie. They sure can pull, especially when they turn sideways. I love catching stuff like that.

Meadowgrounds Lake in Fulton co has em like that , they sure are fun on a fly rod.

My sister-in-law just showed me her techniques in filleting them and frying them and they are delicious (for me that means without any fishy taste). I had always heard good things about them, but never tasted and never kept them because I had no idea how to harvest the small fillets they render.

I used to do that all the time...but if you do it more than two days from garbage day it becomes unpleasant.

There's a private pond I fish every year with a church pot luck dinner/fishing outing. It's coming up in 2 weeks and I'm pumped. There are some very large bluegill in there and some 10-16 in. LM bass too. It's not unusual to catch 30 fish in a few hours. Nice when it only gets fished once a year. The panfish can get big (picture below) and they fight better than the bass sometimes. Had my streamer get taken about 2 feet off the water on a cast by a bass 2 years ago, craziest thing I've seen, couldn't believe my eyes.

ryguyfi,
There are times when bass go bonkers over damsel flies. I've caught quite a few bass during these times when the fly doesn't even touch the water before a jumping fish nails it. It is amazing. Especially when you consider the judgement needed by the fish to break through the water and time the bite just right.

One year I ran out of damsel fly imiitations -- I never carry more than one or two with me -- I had to resort to the next best thing... green drake comp ties. They worked!

Back