No rain so..

V

Van_Cleaver

Stopped fishing my local streams until we get some more rain so went to the local lake around four. Mixed sun and clouds and very light wind. Not much of a bite but managed over a dozen gills and a small bass. Three of the gills were good ones. (8" or so)

Fishing a couple jig style flies which did nothing so tied on one of my lake ants (long shank, sz 12) as a dropper using 5x tippet. Ended up catching every fish on it. No crappie or perch which was a little surprising but a nice short outing close to home.

I've quit fishing my go-to stream due to low water.

I fished Kettle Ck three days this week. What is normally 250 cfs was approx 950 cfs the first day and flows gradually declined thereafter. Water temps were 42-44 deg. Minnow rig fishing was the order of the day, although a couple of nymph anglers caught some Thur eve without too much effort as flow started to become suitable for specialized nymphers. Friday flow was much better. It appeared that from Bloomsburg west and north, flows were pretty high. Could use some of
that in SE Pa., although the Ltl Schuylkill looked ok.

Mike; we haven't had a meaningful rain for some time in Chester Co. and none in sight either. The local lakes are stating to produce though, so thankful for that. Probably should remove a few trout for the smoker but having trouble getting motivated to do so. Also rather eat gills, perch or crappie anyway.

I can’t think of a good flowing stream near you, although Darby Ck seems for some reason to maintain fairly good flow in summer, so maybe that’s the case now. Temps going into the 80’s this week will be bad for stocked streams with low flow. These and similar conditions, perhaps a little less extreme, are exactly why there is a regional opening day.

Chester Creek in Delco would be my choice for quantity of fish and water right now. That said I'd more likely hit the Tully below the dam as it's about the same drive. Not excited about a heat wave and no rain but staring to get my kayak rigged rigged for fly fishing.

Truth be told, Tully was my first thought, but I figured DelCo was closer, not knowing exactly where you lived. Tully provides an option for a split day though with the kayak. The crappie population is good at Blue Marsh and right now is still prime time for striper hybrids there. Prime time fishing the shallows for striper hybrids will end within the next week or so.

Back