New Forum Coming Soon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Great news.. Just hope treasure trove of amazing information and old posts will transfer over to the new platform as there has been so much interesting and well thought out discussion here. I don’t think a new platform would be worth it if all those years of posts get removed.

I have been working with the developer tonight 12/27/21 on the test forum he created with all the migrated posts. I was pretty impressed as all the forums, threads posts and attachments made it over to the test site. That was very good news.

Looks like all users, avatars, sig lines and posting counts came over for all users too.

Still, some questions for me on some aspects of users when first come over to the upgraded site. For example will all the old passwords work, if not is everyone going to have to reset their passwords to log back in.

The answer will be likely.

Also when we open back up on the new platform, it will not be very pretty looking. All the forums will be there and working, but the look and feel will be different and not polished. That will be part two after we make it across.

dkile wrote:
I have been working with the developer tonight 12/27/21 on the test forum he created with all the migrated posts. I was pretty impressed as all the forums, threads posts and attachments made it over to the test site. That was very good news.

Looks like all users, avatars, sig lines and posting counts came over for all users too.

Still, some questions for me on some aspects of users when first come over to the upgraded site. For example will all the old passwords work, if not is everyone going to have to reset their passwords to log back in.

The answer will be likely.

Also when we open back up on the new platform, it will not be very pretty looking. All the forums will be there and working, but the look and feel will be different and not polished. That will be part two after we make it across.

Dave Kile let us peek at the new site. As he wrote above, just about everything will be saved from the old site, but embedded videos may not show up. I've added the links to some of the threads and posts with embedded videos of very useful fly patterns and techniques. But if you have some videos you would like to continue to view, I suggest you bookmark them in your computer or phone for future use.

Good point Tom and thanks. I have said it before, but I think we are talking a few days out now.

I think we are all done all the testing on the new site. The developer has set the cutover date as Jan 5 this week.

The site will go down sometime January [d]5th[/d] 4th when the developer cuts over the forum and users. I will then go in clean up a little and make sure access to forums is working. That may take me 1-2 days.

Sorry about over-communicating, but I thought we would have been done this several weeks ago. Also some members are just hearing about the change.

Happy New Year

Thumbs up
And fingers crossed!!

Thank you, Dave and for all your work.

Will miss the site while it is down.

Boy this is fluid.

New date for start of cutover - Tue, Jan. 4, 2022, 9 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Welcome to the updated forum.

The site has just been upgraded to offer many improvements. It is still under construction, but we are back open for business.

The old Paflyfish forum was based on a platform called XOOPS and was a critical step for the website sixteen years ago. The XOOPS platform had not kept up with contemporary Internet protocols, security standards, SEO search engines, mobile user access and many other important features. I have migrated to a new forum platform based on Zenforo with the plan on improving our fly fishing community.

The new forum will provide all the new features that is needed as well maintaining pretty much all the old features you have been familiar with over the years. The new forum will offer better community access and convince to all the old information too.

New Functionality
Mobile Access - designed to work with smartphones and tablets
Security - Secure SSL access, a secure certificate for the site, hChapta for new secure user registration, advance blocking for bots and spammers
Unlimited file storage - We can add more and larger images to posts
Pictures - easy to drag and drop images and no codes
Multimedia - simple YouTub video without adding codes
Intuitive authoring tools - what you see is what you get
Watched Content - Users can opt to receive email or on-site notifications
Conversations (formerly private messages) - Private messaging to one or more member
What’s new features
Alerts
Enhanced Search

What got Migrated
All the old forums, threads, posts and replies
User names, signature lines and avatars
Private messages - now Conversations

What didn’t make it
Embedded videos
Photo Album
Lined referring to the old site
Old Polls

Coming soon and still under construction
Mobile App - Paflyfish can be installed as an app on your smartphone or tablet
New Improved Photo Album
Updated Theme
Update Forum Policy and Guidelines
Resources

What’s next?
The site has been migrated with the goal of getting us back to functioning forums as quickly as possible. The look and feel is a little raw right now and I’ll be cleaning things up with a new theme. But, the first steps will be to answer questions, fix any glitches, adjust the preferences and get used back to a normal functioning site.

There will be issues and I will likely not know all the answers. Please be patient as there are many new features. Let’s use the forum to ask questions and share answers in the Site and Forum Comments.

As Maurice told me, there will be some pieces left on the ground after the move and I’ll have to take a little time picking them back up the following weeks.

Thanks for being part of Paflyfish,

Dave Kile

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back