Musky sightings??

brookieaddict

brookieaddict

I have not been out do to some post-op knee compucations so im asking has anyone seen muskys in the shallow yet?.

Saw quite a few last summer. With the icy rivers this winter I haven't been out looking for 'em but things should be ideal now with the slight warming trend and clear water. A slight rise in water levels ought to put 'em on the feed too. Hope your knee gets well soon.

Haven't seen any this year, but i do have a great musky story. When I was a teenager I used to fish the conestoga river in my 17 foot red coleman conoe often. On this particular outing my father and I decided to canoe/fish a stretch of theriver that we often ignored. The largest, deepest hole in this stretch was behind an abandoned amusement park from the late 1800's maybe early 1900's. The river bends here and gets very deep on the outside bend. Access is limited to boaters because both sides of the river are private property... so the fishing is good. As we silently slid into the pool a monstrous musky glided past us heading in the opposite direction. It was maybe 1 1/2 ' from our boat and the water was gin clear that day so we clearly saw all 54" of it. He was beautifull! The musky pitched to one side while passing as if to get a better look. I remember making eye contact with the fish. The experience was a little intimidating. He finished his pass and then as he reached the end of the canoe turned and followed for a few feat, then sunk into the depth of the pool and vanished. Holy @#*!!! We could'nt stop talking about the insident for weeks. A few months later I returned to the spot armed with 20# test, wire leader, surf fishing rod, and the largest lure I could find at the local sports shop. On the very first cast I hooked into something BIG! my pulse raced. I thought I had him. Turned out to be the largest, fattest small mouth of my life to date. I was dissapointed :lol: Funny how your perspective changes according to expectations. Havn't been back there in a while. That was about 15 years ago so that fish is most likely dead. Does anyone know how long they live?

Terry,
Know exactly where you mean. (Park had a skating rink and an old wooden roller coaster). My sightings have been in the same river (Connestoga) by the area known by the water treatment plant. Used to see them sunning themselves. Best day I saw 4 different ones. All legal size and beautiful tigers.

Ray

Are you guys talking about Rocky Springs? The water treatment plant would be affectionately termed "Water Works" along 23. Same place?

I actually saw a 20-24"ish musky in a spot on the swatty hit by sun the other day when I was out wandering around!

In about the same area I caught one on the fly last year.

wgmiller wrote:
Are you guys talking about Rocky Springs? The water treatment plant would be affectionately termed "Water Works" along 23. Same place?
:cool: yes. you know your local water miller.

I wonder what the "locals" would think if they saw a musky in the Conestoga. They'd probably tell all their friends it was a barracuda!

Rocky Springs opened for a very brief period of time in the late 70's/early 80's. To this day Knoebels reminds me a lot of Rocky Springs (sans the modern rides). It must have been something "back in the day" though!

Rocky Springs opened for a very brief period of time in the late 70's/early 80's. To this day Knoebels reminds me a lot of Rocky Springs (sans the modern rides). It must have been something "back in the day" though!

It certainly was. There were fireworks displays there every 4th of July. Wooden rollercoaster, roller skating rink, merry-go-round, wooden airplanes, and a huge swimming pool!

Ray

Back