Moving to Pittsburgh

R

Rkey530

Hi there I'm thinking of moving to pittsburgh, maybee the bethel park area, and was wondering if there are any decent public access sunfish ponds closeby? Ya know the kind of stuff you could hit after work for an hour or two, or squeeze in on a sat morning if you didn't have time to put in a 12 hour day on a lake somewhere.

We get a lot of posts requesting info on trout fishing in the PGH area - glad to see someone looking for fish that are actually numerous around the city. I'm not too familar with the PGH area - there are a lot of posters on this forum who do know it well and they'll get you specific answers. You might try Point State Park if you're near downtown. They get smallies, catties, carp, freshwater drum, and walleyes here. I'd suppose there should be sunnies.

There are no good ways to get into and out of the South Hills without going north thru the city or south to 70. Can't think of a worse part of Pittsburgh as far as fly fishing goes.

Might ask one of these guys:
South Hills Rod & Reel 412-344-8888
International Angler. (412) 782- 2222.

not even sure the first one exists anymore...

Thanks for the info, i'll give them a call. Kinda got the feeling from driving thru and from looking at the satelite photos that area was a bit hemmed in and kinda dry with respect to fishable water, was hoping i was wrong.

There is good fishing, you will just have to travel. I have one good streamand one good lake less than 15 minute away. After that any really good trip is about an hour. And I live in Greensburg.

don't know why you want to pick the bethel park area but that's up tp you. if you want access into the city for work, i would recommend north of the city. also north has faster access to good fishing. but in the south hills, where bethel park is, you do have some options that are within a few minutes drive. chartiers creek is close, it has some stocked trout but is good for smallies. the lower yough river is close enough and is a very good river for smallies and sauger. you also have the main mon, ohio and allegheny rivers that fisg great for smallies, walleye and sauger, not to mention flathead and channel cats along with hybred stripers and white bass. a 2 - 2.5 hr drive puts you on erie and the tribs. an 1.5 hr drive puts you on the yough where it is very well stocked with trout and great for smallies sauger, musky etc. also you have quite a few trout waters you get to like loyalhanna, indian, laurel hill, kooser lake, jacobs cr, slippery rock cr, neshanock cr, etc. you will not lack for fishable water.

I'm from Whitehall, right next to Bethel Park. I often go to the Yough River around Smithton/Jacobs Creek. I can get there in about 35 minutes by following Rt 51 south. It provides fairly consistent smallmouth fishing from June through October. As far as sunfish, you could always hit Cannonsburg Lake on Rt 19 S toward Washington, I've never fished it but I'm sure it has sunnies and an occasional bass.

Thanks for all the responces. I'm thinking of moving to pittsburgh sometime in the next 2-3 years because my fiance is from that area and we think that with the cost of living here in the suburbs in ny we will never really get ahead and see pittsburgh's cost of living as more reasonable. I've visited a few times and my father in law to be took me up to Nashanok once. Nice stream, kinda long drive though. I did a lil research and it seemed as if my best bet for a regular stream was the Yough. Was just looking to see what you local guys who know the watersheds in the are thought. Thanks a lot again for the responces. If any of you are ever headed to south eastern ny and need some info just ask.

south of there theres a pond off the road umm its out near eightyfour and i think its 136 going towards monogahela its on the left you can only see it before the leaves sprout from the road ive seen people fishing it but dont know whats in it or if its privatly owned i know its close to the upper entrance of mingo park on the left ill get more precise directions and post them or pm you with them next time im out that way plus i think canonsburg lake has all of the above in it too

try this

anddirections from bethel park

Back