Millport Conservatory/Lititz Creek

I hooked, and played, a monster rainbow under the bridge leading up to the home on the hill. I was sitting on the stone foundation of the bridge. It ate a Squirmy Wormie and I was able to bring it close a few times. It was in the 24 " - 25" range. My net was too small and I really didn't see any point in getting off the stone foundation to make an attempt to net it. After about 10 minutes it lunged back under The bridge and broke me off.
Yes. That same spot. I have stood there in early spring and watched fish eating stoneflies in that pool below bridge. I caught one that was probably 24" in that pool on a wooly bugger when the air temp was in the 20's. I knew I would only get a couple casts before my line froze up and I got the fish right away. There must be plenty in there to eat for them because the fish seem to stay in good shape when they hold over. It's not exactly my preferred kind of fishing but it is interesting to pick your way along in that meadow making short casts to likely spots and then hook a giant.

Last edited:
Over the past few weeks I've FFed the Millport Conservatory section of the Lititz 3 times. Is a beautiful creek with good trails along both sides of its banks. However, I won't be going back. Each time I've been there I've run into a groundskeeper moving up/down the creek feeding the trout fish pellets, which totally ruined any attempt at FFing. Is unfortunate since the creek is a very healthy spring creek with lots of bug activity.
This creek has been publicized and pressured beyond recognition in the recent months, partly due to the new fly shop located next to it. When I first started FFing years ago this was a local stocked gem of a creek. With guys who fish it regularly posting pictures on FB and Instagram of what they call "massive wild rainbows" from the creek (which are all stocked BTW - Only small fingerling sized wild rainbows have been found to my knowledge and per the conservancy owner's word with whom I spoke to), the fishing pressure has increased tenfold. I was in precision for my weekly materials pickup and while I was there in the span of 30-45 minutes three separate people came in asking about buttons. The creek overall is relatively healthy - hopefully reduced access (although a bad thing, yet a good thing for the fish and creek's sake in this case) and a little more care by anglers using it can let the creek go through a "reset" from the pressure. It's a shame what happens when spots are publicized and disrespectful anglers ruin the fun for all.

This creek has been publicized and pressured beyond recognition in the recent months, partly due to the new fly shop located next to it. When I first started FFing years ago this was a local stocked gem of a creek. With guys who fish it regularly posting pictures on FB and Instagram of what they call "massive wild rainbows" from the creek (which are all stocked BTW - Only small fingerling sized wild rainbows have been found to my knowledge and per the conservancy owner's word with whom I spoke to), the fishing pressure has increased tenfold. I was in precision for my weekly materials pickup and while I was there in the span of 30-45 minutes three separate people came in asking about buttons. The creek overall is relatively healthy - hopefully reduced access (although a bad thing, yet a good thing for the fish and creek's sake in this case) and a little more care by anglers using it can let the creek go through a "reset" from the pressure. It's a shame what happens when spots are publicized and disrespectful anglers ruin the fun for all.
What new fly shop is located next to lititz run ?

What new fly shop is located next to lititz run ?
It is called Creekside Fly and Tackle. Has been open since last year. I drive by it on a regular basis and have yet to stop in. It’s next door to Reflections restaurant if you know where that is. Lower end of the famous Lititz Run.

I was just there at both Relections restaurant and Creekside Fly & Tackle. The fly shop is very small, but I will buy flies there to support the business.

This creek has been publicized and pressured beyond recognition in the recent months, partly due to the new fly shop located next to it.

One of the biggest items that brought publicity to the stream was the book "Keystone Fly Fishing", which was published back in 2017. It went from an obscure local stream to a far more popular stream. Local YouTubers also began fishing it regularly and sharing their success. I don't think we can point to a single factor that has brought more pressure to Lititz Run, but instead a myriad of factors. Creekside Fly and Tackle really has been at the tail end of the chain of events leading to more pressure on LR. It's a small local limestoner that can only handle so much pressure.

There are not an abundance of secrets left in PA in general in my opinion as far as entire streams with fishable reproducing trout go.

when your fishing and you run into a bunch of other anglers on a smaller very spook-able stream such as Lititz Run, I think its more of a reflection of access within a certain radius to other streams. I can think of other streams to fish in that area but length of access to spread people out is not really proportionate to amount of fly anglers in lancaster county. For a state with so many stream miles to fish access needs to be more of a focus especially with the purple pain/postings I’ve seen in past few years.

This obviously isn’t an issue near potter/clinton/tioga or bald eagle/rothrock state forest but thats because of the public land and lots of access easements in the large streams that flow out of them.

PFBC should be focusing on how to get federal money from “30 by 30” initiative or using the tens in millions they get for grants on something besides hatcheries.

At the end of the day all the other people you see on Lititz Run are looking for the same thing as you. We just need room to be able to be spread out instead of competing for hatchery fish in what seems like a shrinking number of stream miles.

Meh … I’ll just fish for carp, they’re a whole lot more fun on a flyrod anyway. Come to think of it one of the first carp I ever caught on a flyrod was on the Millport Conservancy property on Lititz Run on a black wooly bugger many decades ago. I always buy my button but rarely actually fish it. I hope the money goes to a good cause??

Meh … I’ll just fish for carp, they’re a whole lot more fun on a flyrod anyway. Come to think of it one of the first carp I ever caught on a flyrod was on the Millport Conservancy property on Lititz Run on a black wooly bugger many decades ago. I always buy my button but rarely actually fish it. I hope the money goes to a good cause??
I live in Brownstown. I’ve never fished Lititz Run. I’d rather fish Cocalico Creek or the Conestoga River.

😂

So we are to worry about spot burning a pellet fed, large stocked fish farm factory of a stream that could be considered the inferior slow cousin of Spruce Creek and a wild trout stream that could be likened (though not nearly as bad) to fishing in the middle of a Mexican cartel drug zone?

Yeah, I'll pass. I encourage people to please go fish these waters. Please! Go now and avoid the others 😂

Back