Millport Conservatory/Lititz Creek

The few times that I fished it, I did catch a few brookies but predominant catch was browns/bows. He's not on here anymore, but "Salvelinus" used to fish it a lot and was almost surgical there including the water below the Conservancy. I'm not sure if his old posts would still turn up or not. IMO, I do think the general conditions in the Conservancy are much better than the public area notwithstanding the supplemental pellet feedings.

I was out there today. I’ve never fished this stretch before. Apparently one section is newly posted. The land owner explained this to me as her 150 lb mastiff was snarling in my face and nipping at my waders. This is in the lower section by the ladder, upstream starting at the log that crosses the creek. It is posted on one side but not the other, so I thought the other side was ok and crossed. She said they posted it two weeks ago because anglers were not respecting the property and also because her dog was crazy. Like I said, my first time there so I can’t really comment on all that.

I didn’t catch anything on nymphs or a mop worm. It was busy, being one of the most pleasant (but not necessarily fishy) days of the year so far. Didn’t seem like anyone else was catching any fish either. 66 degrees, sunny and windy. Nice creek.

This is the place you have to buy a button to fish?
Only at the Millport Conservancy water. Precision Fly Tackle sells them for $25. As far as I know the section of the creek where you climb over a wooden stair case and there is a open field in public, no badge required. The property owner requires anglers to walk along the fence line to the creek and then stay on the creek path. No walking through the field.

I was out there today. I’ve never fished this stretch before. Apparently one section is newly posted. The land owner explained this to me as her 150 lb mastiff was snarling in my face and nipping at my waders. This is in the lower section by the ladder, upstream starting at the log that crosses the creek. It is posted on one side but not the other, so I thought the other side was ok and crossed. She said they posted it two weeks ago because anglers were not respecting the property and also because her dog was crazy. Like I said, my first time there so I can’t really comment on all that.

I didn’t catch anything on nymphs or a mop worm. It was busy, being one of the most pleasant (but not necessarily fishy) days of the year so far. Didn’t seem like anyone else was catching any fish either. 66 degrees, sunny and windy. Nice creek.
I wasn't aware of the newly posted water. Are you saying the entire section is now posted to no fishing? The far side of the creek, where there is an older home on a hill has always been posted. No walking along that bank.

They've been feeding the fish pellets for many years on this stream. Nothing new here.

I need to get back over there, but I've heard rumblings about portions of the "Hess Farm" Green Meadow Farm recently being posted. Access to the stream has ebbed and flowed over the years, particularly upstream of the farm. The area below the concrete bridge leading to the farm wasn't always "no fishing", but has also fallen victim to recent posting. Publicity and proximity to population centers have posed a real challenge to LR and will continue to do so.

Untitled

Last edited:
Property map confirms that the property this occurred on is owned by “Hess” but it is just upstream of your screenshot.

I wasn't aware of the newly posted water. Are you saying the entire section is now posted to no fishing? The far side of the creek, where there is an older home on a hill has always been posted. No walking along that bank.
The only reason I say it is new is because the owner told me they used to allow fishing from the western bank but they posted it two weeks ago. I saw an orange posted sign there but none across the creek so I crossed by that big log that appears to be anchored in place and that’s where I was confronted.

Screen Shot 2023 02 15 at 93404 PM

Red is the area where the posted sign was hanging. I crossed the stream and was confronted by the property owner at the Yellow. It was friendly enough of an exchange, although the dog scared the fish pellets out of me. I explained I had never fished there and it was an honest mistake, but I wouldn't blame her if the button and TU hat had her wondering if I was being honest about that.

I've never gone that far up the creek. The furthest I've ventured is to the end of the pasture/field and just before the wooded area. I didn't fish it at all in 2023 and only fished it for the first times from August to September of 2022. I've hooked monsters in both the water shown on the map and in the conservancy water. I've never landed anything over 18". Barbless hooks, tight quarters, and just bad luck and I've lost a handful of the 20" - 23" trout. Since they are all stocked it really didn't bother me to lose them. There really isn't very much water and you can easily get by with hip boots. I only got in the water to cross the creek. In many places it is barely 6' wide. There are a handful of deep slow pools where the big fish hang out. If anyone goes over I would suggest during the week. Precision fly Tackle is bringing clients over there for a guided trip. I can't imagine paying a typical day guides fee to fish such mediocre water.

Is the water below the bridge (Millport Conservancy) in that open field posted or open to fishing?

After hearing tales of the notorious meat hole known as Lititz Run, this thread pushed me over the edge. On president’s day, I got to Precision Fly when they opened, bought my button and headed on over with the expectation of catching a trout on every cast.

Turns out, it’s stocked only once a year, albeit with some monsters. At this point, they’ve become wary and a bit selective. I managed to land three, the best being 19 inches and fat. Other two were over 16, so a good day for what it is.

It reminded me of late 1970s early 80s south central Pennsylvania fly fishing trophy trout creeks: lots of unnaturally big trout in a relatively small area. Kind of like how yellow breeches and boiling springs creek were back in the day.

My preference shifted to wild trout years ago, but it’s fun to hit a spot where your odds of hooking a bruiser are high.

I also landed two native fish: 8 inch creek chubs.

Attachments

• 7C4779D2-CD48-4B50-91CB-19DE016F18C5.jpeg
    7C4779D2-CD48-4B50-91CB-19DE016F18C5.jpeg
    334.4 KB · Views: 46
After hearing tales of the notorious meat hole known as Lititz Run, this thread pushed me over the edge. On president’s day, I got to Precision Fly when they opened, bought my button and headed on over with the expectation of catching a trout on every cast.

Turns out, it’s stocked only once a year, albeit with some monsters. At this point, they’ve become wary and a bit selective. I managed to land three, the best being 19 inches and fat. Other two were over 16, so a good day for what it is.

It reminded me of late 1970s early 80s south central Pennsylvania fly fishing trophy trout creeks: lots of unnaturally big trout in a relatively small area. Kind of like how yellow breeches and boiling springs creek were back in the day.

My preference shifted to wild trout years ago, but it’s fun to hit a spot where your odds of hooking a bruiser are high.

Occasionally you’ll get into a Rock Bass or two as well if you fish it hard enough.

Meathole is officially spotburned. They like scuds by the way.
The last time I went there I was making my way fishing up through the meadow and a guy I recognized from Youtube went running, no lie, across the field , clattering video equipment and fly rod. He felt he just had to beat me to the one deep area in the little wooded part. After he cut me off I went home. I hope his video got plenty of views.

Only at the Millport Conservancy water. Precision Fly Tackle sells them for $25. As far as I know the section of the creek where you climb over a wooden stair case and there is a open field in public, no badge required. The property owner requires anglers to walk along the fence line to the creek and then stay on the creek path. No walking through the field.
Right there under that little bridge my brother caught a rainbow on an ant or beetle that must have been 6 pounds. This was probably 15-20 yrs ago.

Good looking rainbow.

Meathole is officially spotburned. They like scuds by the way.
The last time I went there I was making my way fishing up through the meadow and a guy I recognized from Youtube went running, no lie, across the field , clattering video equipment and fly rod. He felt he just had to beat me to the one deep area in the little wooded part. After he cut me off I went home. I hope his video got plenty of views.
Was he a younger fellow with black hair? He has made probably a dozen videos of Lititz Run. He's also caught some really huge browns and rainbows. I have pictures of a legit 24" rainbow and equally as big browns. He acts like it is a secret creek.

Right there under that little bridge my brother caught a rainbow on an ant or beetle that must have been 6 pounds. This was probably 15-20 yrs ago.
I hooked, and played, a monster rainbow under the bridge leading up to the home on the hill. I was sitting on the stone foundation of the bridge. It ate a Squirmy Wormie and I was able to bring it close a few times. It was in the 24 " - 25" range. My net was too small and I really didn't see any point in getting off the stone foundation to make an attempt to net it. After about 10 minutes it lunged back under The bridge and broke me off.

Back