Mickey Finn

hooker-of-men

hooker-of-men

When wet, is the hair on a correctly tied Mickey Finn supposed to taper back into a minnow silhouette?

I'm using a lot of bucktail recently for big streamers, so I've been getting a better sense of how the hair should lay down in the water. However, I have Mickey Finns I tied a few years ago that notably do not do this. When they're in the water, they just sort of have the same shape as they did in the vise.

I'm guessing the bucktail was too short/dense, so the action isn't right? I'm also guessing I probably shouldn't fish those flies...

Last edited:
You are probably fine. When a bucktail is wet in your hand the surface tension of the water will taper it and that is what you see in the photos. Fully submerged in water there is no force to close the hair and it will look like it does on the vice. If you move it though the hair should wiggle and close down a little.

BTW, bucktails and Thunder Creeks tied with bucktail should be slender. Many bucktails are tied too full in my opinion.

i dont use a lot of bucktail

Mickey-Finn-1080.jpg

Mickey-Finn-Wet-1080.jpg

i dont use a lot of bucktail

Mickey-Finn-1080.jpg

Mickey-Finn-Wet-1080.jpg

It's totally a matter of preference, but I prefer them dressed more heavily than that. Part of the reason is that as you use bucktails, some of the hair breaks off. So if it's thin while new, it may be very thin after using it a few times.

Also, I use streamers when the water is up and at least slightly colored, i.e. "chalky green" at least, or even brownish. So, I want the fish to be able to see it.

every tyer has their own preferences

Latest posts

Back