Mentored Youth Day

He looks like a confident wader Pat. Must’ve gotten his mother’s balance. 😜 I hope my son gets his mother’s too.

Glad you guys had a good outing, even if brief before that rain band came through.

My neighbor was out on the Breeches with his son, they did well too it sounds like.
It wouldn't be fishing if you weren't floundering in the creek every once in a while.

It’s becoming my favorite day of the year. I take my nephew out and he hasn’t gotten to getting them on dries yet but did get em on spinners this year. Took a few breaks to go home and warm up and dry out but after sitting by the fire for an hour or so he was ready to get back after them and didn’t want to leave at dark without some pleading which is more than I could ever ask for as I remember doing the same!!!

Attachments

• 185F60AE-F60C-4DDD-B5BF-FCFE2AE9F1C6.jpeg
    185F60AE-F60C-4DDD-B5BF-FCFE2AE9F1C6.jpeg
    269 KB · Views: 46
  • 756F6B6C-422C-40F1-8778-4FBF22239635.jpeg
    756F6B6C-422C-40F1-8778-4FBF22239635.jpeg
    194.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 7E624B1E-1ED3-4C42-8DA4-67BC17D85F6C.jpeg
    7E624B1E-1ED3-4C42-8DA4-67BC17D85F6C.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 43
I got the boy out for a couple hours in SEPA. Tossing a Rapala with the barbs pinched down and Dad playing rod caddy, I bet he landed a dozen. We had one of those gold mutants that was a player and charged the plug twice but never ate. I rolled a 25 inch bow while "demonstrating" but he couldn't get him to play again. He is looking forward to getting better with the fly rod this year, but he just wanted to catch today. Mission accomplished.

My buddy had his daughter out before the rain, and my son and I encountered a few dads and sons/dads and daughters when the rain broke around 3 PM again. It is a good program that we have enjoyed. That is all over since in August he thinks he's driving one of my cars....

btw, I know we discussed this somewhere, but those neoprene waisters that were his skinny-arsed Pop's before he passed a few years ago were repaired with a spray can of Flex Seal. Still going....
20230325_153822-COLLAGE.jpg

I did pretty decent, thought I'd try it out since it's my last year to do so. The place was packed but thinned out quickly. lots of other kids catching big bows and palominos, glad they could before the adults moved in. Sadly saw many adults fishing with no kids in sight, and keeping the fish. Sadly had to keep a 22" bow after it got gill hooked on a streamer, but released the rest. The state entered my SSN in wrong, so it took over an hour to get it figured out, the guy there didn't help out much either. Seems very pointless to me, should only need a school ID or something simple like that.

I agree that the Commonwealth could do better with that system. Not even getting into the SS# for kids, which is silly if you have the parent's info. For one, it's not even a PA company, yeah? Secondly, it's not searchable in anyway that I can tell, just lists and lists of items. And info is sparse AF. I tried an end around last year (and did it again this year forgetting I did the same thing last year!) and did a GIFT voluntary youth license. All it is is a voucher that you have to take to retailer for the actual license, which seems ridiculous. It ended up being a 3 dollar (well, 6 now) donation to the Comish because I ended up printing the MY permit both times. Maybe they can use my 6 bucks towards a better online retailer based in the state :unsure: Or they have bigger (golden) fish to fry, perhaps....

I did pretty decent, thought I'd try it out since it's my last year to do so. The place was packed but thinned out quickly. lots of other kids catching big bows and palominos, glad they could before the adults moved in. Sadly saw many adults fishing with no kids in sight, and keeping the fish. Sadly had to keep a 22" bow after it got gill hooked on a streamer, but released the rest. The state entered my SSN in wrong, so it took over an hour to get it figured out, the guy there didn't help out much either. Seems very pointless to me, should only need a school ID or something simple like that.
Nothing wrong with keeping that gill hooked fish. Stopped at Hay Creek, in Birdsboro, on my way home from the VFTU trout show and took a walk. Chatted with some folks who were still out, and picked up some trash. And yes there were some adults fishing without kids present. I always thought it was supposed to be 1 adult to 1 or more kids, not several adults to 1 kid.

Pat...Nice pics...Your kid has Sims waders? You're ruining him o_O:ROFLMAO:

Pat...Nice pics...Your kid has Sims waders? You're ruining him
lol, thanks. Yes, the youth tributaries. He got them for Christmas, and I think they were right about $100, which was cheapest youth breathables I really could find (cheaper than Frog Togg, Caddis, Redington, etc.).

I was most impressed with his casting. He got this circle roll thing going on, and he slings it!

Last edited:
Don’t know why PA F&B needs a kids social number for a 1 day “free” permit. We’ll pass on tomorrow. Plenty of fishing with the grandkids coming up.

Steve
The license is issued with a CID (customer identification number) which follows the person for life in the PA hunting & fishing license system. If you don't tag the account with some unique identifier (e.g. driver license, SSN) the person can't be uniquely identified & linked to the account. Later in life someone gets suspended/revoked for poaching, for example, and the person simply opens a new account with their actual SSN or driver license. Without a unique identifier there would be no way to identify the 2nd account as a duplicate. PA also participates in the multi-state compact which allows a person's fishing and/or hunting privileges to be revoked pretty much US wide, but only if there is a unique identifier by which accounts in the various states can be linked. SSN works great for this purpose.

The license is issued with a CID (customer identification number) which follows the person for life in the PA hunting & fishing license system. If you don't tag the account with some unique identifier (e.g. driver license, SSN) the person can't be uniquely identified & linked to the account. Later in life someone gets suspended/revoked for poaching, for example, and the person simply opens a new account with their actual SSN or driver license. Without a unique identifier there would be no way to identify the 2nd account as a duplicate. PA also participates in the multi-state compact which allows a person's fishing and/or hunting privileges to be revoked pretty much US wide, but only if there is a unique identifier by which accounts in the various states can be linked. SSN works great for this purpose.
I understand the CID number and the reason for the SSN, I also understand my grandkids are 4&5 and they want their social for a one day FREE permit. Not going to happen. I’d rather the adult have to get the permit, since they are the mentor.

Steve

Correct. Its ok to charge a few bucks, but its something the mentor should be buying, not the mentee.

Back