Mayflies have been hatching over the last week

barrybarry

barrybarry

They're in the Wrightsville area, and should be heading north over the next few days. The river hasn't been very good to me this year. I hope it's just me. Last year was pretty good.
BrownDrakesSM

Sulphurs have been on the North Branch regularly in the evenings.

Great photo. Thanks for the heads up. Hexagenia spp. I guess.

Yes, appears to be Hex.

Fly fishermen who generally don't fish for bass are often stunned by pictures like this that reveal the magnitude of mayfly hatches on big warm water rivers, and the Susquehanna in particular.

To be sure, I don't regard mayfly hatches on bass rivers the same way I do on trout streams. Bass eat mayflies, but huge bug soup days on rivers often don't produce heavy feeding like one would expect on Penns Creek (there are some glorious days that are exceptions). Nevertheless, pictures like this one are pretty motivating for any FFer! Thanks for posting this.

I've had several hex waves appear here in the dauphin narrows region but that was in mid June

Last week I saw all 3 of the majors in one evening, some Hex, white flies and sulphurs, Susquehanna North Branch

Monday evening, after a rain, I drove through over 1 mile of Hexagenia spinner cloud between Reno and Oil City. Car was a mess. Hitting those things makes an audible *PLUP*. Great sign about the water quality. Love seeing the abundance and diversity of life on the River.

Back