Matching bead size to hook size

Sometimes I run heavier beads on smaller patterns, so not really proportional, but useful when I have to get a relatively small fly to sink rapidly in cold/dense water.

Sometimes I run heavier beads on smaller patterns, so not really proportional, but useful when I have to get a relatively small fly to sink rapidly in cold/dense water.
True, but sometimes the hole in the bead is too big for a smaller fly. I most times use a properly sized or one just a little bit larger and wrap some lead wire (or lead substitute wire) around the shank behind the bead to add weight. The wire also locks the bead in place against the eye, making it a bomb-proof fly. In fact I call them my "bomber" flies. You can use different diameter lead and/or wrap more or less on the length of the shank depending on the size of the fly or how heavy you want to make your fly.

I tie a few of these bombers in each of my most fished nymph patterns in addition to my regular weight flies. I use them when I need more weight to get down in fast and/or really deep water.

In addition, I tie some unweighted nymphs without beads for times when the trout are feeding high up in the column or just beneath the surface. Add some floatant to the nymph and you can fish it as an emerger. This "kills" sometimes.

That's the great thing about tying your own flies, you can tie flies for different conditions rather than having to fish whatever you find in the bin of a fly shop or buy the flies find online.

Last edited:
Add some floatant to the nymph and you can fish it as an emerger. This "kills" sometimes.

That's the great thing about tying your own flies, you can tie flies for different conditions rather than having to fish whatever you find in the bin of a fly shop or buy the flies find online.
I have never tried floatant on nymphs, ingenious!

Also, yes, tying offers complete customization, allowing an angler to design a fly to one's specific needs/wants.

They don't. I've been told it's supposed to represent an air bubble. I also think the fish overlook it as the nymph looks good enough.

I use different size beads on my nymphs. If the bead is too large for the hook, I'll build up a thread head in front of the bead to keep it on the hook.
PC050329

Back