Marsh Creek Releases

S

springer1

Was wading the Brandywine downstream from Downingtown today and in the span of 5 minutes the flow rate increased 5x from 105 to over 520! My buddy and I were lucky enough that we were in a shallow area and was able to get out on the same side of the creek as my truck, the creek could not be waded. I we had been in a deeper section we would have been swimming.

I'm assuming it was a Marsh Creek Lake/Dam release, I donno maybe there's another dam on the creek ..... but sheezz .... it was an experience.

Would be appropriate if planed actions that cause such radical flow changes would be listed on the USGS pages such as "USGS 01480870 East Branch Brandywine Creek below Downingtown, PA" or some other site that fishermen normally access.

Would this responsibility rest with AQUA, the Fish Commission, or the USGS, or another agency ?

Also, if some reader is employed by one of these agencies, please make them aware of this post. If it was warm weather and kids were involved, this could have been serious. Thanks.

The release was posted last Saturday under fly fishing locations. Link Sorry you got caught. Glad you made it out safely.

It's good that it was relayed to here, but this location is not the place most people who are interested in waterways' flows would check for information on status.

SO WHERE DID THE PERSON WHO POSTED IN THE OTHER THREAD HEAR ABOUT IT. HAD TO BE OUT THERE SOMEWHERE.

When Valley Forge TU heard of an angler who got caught on the wrong side of the Brandywine when it rose and she had a long hike to the nearest bridge and back to her car, we contacted to Marsh Creek Lake dam officials and got then to notify us, Dame Juliana League and others when they planned their releases, which happen a couple of times a year. Since then, they have informed us ahead of time. So then I post it here and a couple of FaceBook pages.

Thanks for doing that Les. It would be good if the associated USGA flow sites routinely carried such info from originating dams, but I guess in reality there's no way to reach every body. Anyways, nice going.

Back