Lost fly box on the Broadhead.

Maurice

Maurice

Administrator
Staff member
While fishing the broadhead in Stroudsburg yesterday I seem to have lost a flybox out of my waste pack. It is a two sides clear lid with blue base color. Lost it between the second and third parking lots but I think it fell out in the water and floated away. It’s downstream somewhere from there.

Here is a pic. Hopefully a kind soul finds it and reads this so I can get it back. Long shot I know...

Attachments

• 6CF5005C-5C0F-457A-A682-82930011551D.jpeg
    6CF5005C-5C0F-457A-A682-82930011551D.jpeg
    17.7 KB · Views: 7
No help to you now, but several years back after reading about all of the lost stuff on this board, I started labeling just about anything I could accidentally misplace other than rods & reels, (that will NEVER happen).

May not help in regards to recovery, but at least anyone who finds it will have a guilty conscience when they peel the label off and keep it.

Maurice wrote:
While fishing the broadhead in Stroudsburg yesterday I seem to have lost a flybox out of my waste pack. It is a two sides clear lid with blue base color. Lost it between the second and third parking lots but I think it fell out in the water and floated away. It’s downstream somewhere from there.

Here is a pic. Hopefully a kind soul finds it and reads this so I can get it back. Long shot I know...

^ Egads! Hope you get it back.

I've lost many things when FFing, but the worst thing to lose is a fly box, IMO. Losing a rod outfit, net, or wading staff really sucks; but you can just take it on the chin and go to any fly shop to replace it. You can buy a new fly box too, but not the flies in it!

From a monetary value, if the flies cost a $1 or $2 apiece and there are several hundred in the box, than you need hundreds of dollars to replace them. But for me anyway, I tied up 98% of the flies in the box, which took me many hours of time and material. Plus I have tied flies to match hatches and to fish certain conditions and places.....all gone > have to start again from square one. That really sucks!!

No more I say!!! I now adhere a strip of velcro on all my fly boxes, pin in a short lanyard to the bottom of my fly compartment (you can use anything, even a shoe string), and attach the lanyard with a velcro end I affixed and attached the lanyard to each box. My fly boxes are secured if I happen to drop them or leave my pack opened. Haven't lost one since. And by using velcro, you are still able to easily remove any box from your pack or vest.

Too late for you now, Mo....but you may want to consider doing the same thing.

Good luck...hopefully someone will find your box and return it to you.

I dropped a fly box from my vest on the Dyberry. When I realized it was gone I looked down stream but could not locate it. I walked back to where I dropped it and threw a butch of leaves in the water and followed their drift. Sure enough about 150 feet downstream I found the fly box floating in a eddy. I would probably not found the box if it did not float.

Brilliant.. I actually did check all eddies for about 300 yards as well as the location where I decided to sling my waist pack over my shoulder without checking to see if the zippers were closed...BUH!

In the end, I lost a about 100-150 flys probably, mostly sulphurs and rs2s, bwos, and some drakes as well as most all of my soft hackles and wets and some giant stones. But bcause I am such a scatter brain I seem to have most of those paterns ylthay I lost in my other two boxes. So I am not devistated.

I may even have a sticker with my address on it. But whoevr finds it will be pleased be ause this was the box that I used to consolidate my spring hatch flies.

I always place a return address label on the inside and outside of my fly boxes. This does not guarantee I will be contacted if found, but if a fellow fly fisher finds the box, there is a better chance it will be returned. I also use water proof fly boxes to reduce corrosion following the drift down stream.

I use a Richardson for 99% of my fly fishing. If I lose that it will be easy to spot...

...there will be a face down angler attached to it.

Bamboozle wrote:
I use a Richardson for 99% of my fly fishing. If I lose that it will be easy to spot...

...there will be a face down angler attached to it.

Now that right there is funny...

In the process of replacing some of my lost flies.

I have name etched on my Richardson for identification purposes. Me, not the box.

just_jon wrote:
I have name etched on my Richardson for identification purposes. Me, not the box.

My Richardson came with my name engraved on it from the company.

Did you do your own engraving or are you talking about the factory engraving?

Now that I think of it, I think Mr. Richardson must have engraved it when he added light and floatant holders in the late 70s. It was not engraved when I purchased it off the shelf from Ed Koch in Boiling Springs in August 1973. Interestingly, Mr Richardson refused to accept payment for the modifications asking instead that I make a donation to his church.

just_jon wrote:
Now that I think of it, I think Mr. Richardson must have engraved it when he added light and floatant holders in the late 70s. It was not engraved when I purchased it off the shelf from Ed Koch in Boiling Springs in August 1973. Interestingly, Mr Richardson refused to accept payment for the modifications asking instead that I make a donation to his church.

I wish mine had such a cool origin. I loved the old Yellow Breeches Fly Shop back then!!

That was a special place and time. On any given visit, you could hear stories from the likes of Fox, Marinaro or Shenk. I learned so much.

Back