Korkers Aluminum Hex Head soles (triple threat?)

S

Sylvaneous

I've had 2 pairs of the soles and the screws that hold the aluminum hex heads back out despite tightening and adding thread lock. I think the points of the hex heads get torqued by wading on the rocks. Enough counter-clockwise torque makes the heads rotate and then losen the screws. I think this would be good if they were maybe riveted in place, or maybe if they were round instead of hexagonal and harder for rocks to catch and your foot weight to turn. But the boots themselves are top-notch. I'm going to contact Korkers for another option. I'm thinking the studded Vibram. I need something for snow/ice steelhead wading, and so can't do the studded felts.

I have the Korkers Vibram studded soles and really like them. I've never been a fan of aluminum.

I've had 2 pairs of the soles and the screws that hold the aluminum hex heads back out despite tightening and adding thread lock...
What kind of "thread lock" are you using?

For most applications where I don't want fasteners loosening except without extreme torque from hand tools, I use Loctite 262 which is red and medium to high strength.

However, not all RED Loctite is the same nor is all red thread lock from other companies the same as 262 so choose carefully. Some red Loctite products require torque & heat to remove or loosen and some other non Loctite brand red products aren't as strong as 262.

If you are using blue Loctite, that is only a medium strength thread locker.

Good luck!

Stud retention is often all about the composition of midsole of your wading boots. Depending on what your midsole is made of, such as a softer or harder material, determines how well the studs hold in place. I've worn out boots (the sole gives up the ghost or a seam gives out) but remove and reuse all my studs if they are too worn down. The studs often last longer than the boots!

The Korkers

Aluminum Hex Head soles​

Stud retention is often all about the composition of midsole of your wading boots....
The Korkers Aluminum Hex Head system utilities an threaded aluminum disk held in place through a plastic midsole sub-sole so retention has nothing to do with what the midisole is made of as it it not held in place in the midsole material...

"The Korkers Aluminum Hex Head system utilities an threaded aluminum disk held in place through a plastic midsole sub-sole so retention has nothing to do with what the midisole is made of as it it not held in place in the midsole material..."

That's OK. When did knowing anything about the specifics of an issue impede someone commenting on it.

"The Korkers Aluminum Hex Head system utilities an threaded aluminum disk held in place through a plastic midsole sub-sole so retention has nothing to do with what the midisole is made of as it it not held in place in the midsole material..."

That's OK. When did knowing anything about the specifics of an issue impede someone commenting on it.
Yo Syl, didn't know what Bamboozle posted above about these specific wading boots. I'm here help and spend quite a few hours posting on here to help folks out when I have some info to share. Sorry I disturbed your thread by posting info that is true, but does not apply to your particular wading boot system. Good luck.

I wash ma' hands. I bow-out!
Told you I love that movie.
Syl

:D

I wash ma' hands. I bow-out!
Told you I love that movie.
Syl
:D

getyarn.io

I bow out! I wash my hands!

True Grit (2010) clip with quote I bow out! I wash my hands! Yarn is the best search for video clips by quote. Find the exact moment in a TV show, movie, or music video you want to share. Easily move forward or backward to get to the perfect clip.
getyarn.io
getyarn.io

Back