Kishacoquillas creek acceptable wading level

fishboy71

fishboy71

Hello, guys and girls does anyone have any experience wading Kish Creek? I was curious what a acceptable level would be, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I’ll tell you this…..this weekend was rough. It got down to about 430 cfs this past Sunday and it was still really sketchy. It normally runs around 250 cfs this time of year according to usgs. I was below the trout derby going on….at or below kish park doing some pre-fishing for this upcoming weekend. Wading was sketchy….couldn’t cross from one bank to the other anywhere. Water is really turbid and off color too.

It’s too high right now. Similar to all the bigger creeks after that big rain about 10 days ago. Parts of Kish’s watershed got hit again yesterday and today with thunderstorms, and pushed it back up over 500 cfs.

IMO, about 300 is the max for wading, and even that will get very sketchy in places, especially in the narrows section. There are places you won’t be able to get to or get across at still at 300. From maybe 300 up to 450 or so you can perhaps find some sheltered eddies with gravel bars where you could do some very limited wading if you know where to look, but I don’t bother with it if it’s over 300. If it and the other bigger creeks are that high, small streams are likely in prime shape and the place to be.

For Kish, 150-200 is ideal IMO in terms of balancing wading accessibility with still good flow for the fish to be spread out in.

Ok, thanks for the info. Did you manage to catch any fish? The flow now 536cfs. I guess I'll fish a mountain stream.

Last edited:
I did manage fish but it was tough. I wouldn’t of bothered with it under normal circumstances.

I fish Kish a lot and I have my whole life. I consider it my home water so to speak. For Kish, 300 cfs and lower is good. I was on Kish Saturday and the water was at 440 cfs or so. Definitely pushing lots of water and makes wading a challenge. When it's like that it's best to fish the "west branch" or Honey.

I fish Kish a lot and I have my whole life. I consider it my home water so to speak. For Kish, 300 cfs and lower is good. I was on Kish Saturday and the water was at 440 cfs or so. Definitely pushing lots of water and makes wading a challenge. When it's like that it's best to fish the "west branch" or Honey.
Thanks for the report. I'm not real familiar with the west branch, is there plenty of public access?

Thanks for the report. I'm not real familiar with the west branch, is there plenty of public access?
The "West Branch" is just Kish Creek, but it's Kish above the confluence with Honey Creek. Not sure why we local Mifflin County folks call it the West Branch but Basically we assume Honey to be the East Branch. Lol. Either way, it's just much smaller as honey nearly doubles the flow.

The "West Branch" is just Kish Creek, but it's Kish above the confluence with Honey Creek. Not sure why we local Mifflin County folks call it the West Branch but Basically we assume Honey to be the East Branch. Lol. Either way, it's just much smaller as honey nearly doubles the flow.
Thanks. I assume it gets warm relatively Quickly.

I stopped to fish the Kish Friday on the way up to the Jam and it was flowing around 430 CFS(ish). I agree with what others have mentioned above when it comes to good wading levels. I wouldn't attempt it above 300 and can see where 150-200 would be really nice. I worked a short stretch in Lewistown from the banks and managed one fish, a smallie. The water looked great, but with the higher flow it was a bit tricky to work and get down to bottom.

IMG 4460

IMG 4461

Back